NEW 2020 schedule

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: NEW 2020 schedule

Post by frdbtr »

I'd like to see Army back on the schedule for one of those open weekends in November.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

In the comment the Ute has Utah at 6. Who would that be?

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

This article pretty much revealed what I was afraid of--adding a P5 to the schedule for one of these two November weeks is pretty unlikely.

There are currently 3 holes in the schedule:
November 14
November 28
December 5

BYU would only be able to add a game on two of these weeks as they would hit the 12 game limit.

11/14: UMass is available (seriously though?), Charlotte (C-USA) is as well although this is their first bye after 9 weeks of games.

I'm a little intrigued by Nevada potentially looking for a game as they are scheduled to play @ New Mexico in the MWC schedule this week. And unless things make a big change for the better in Albuquerque, Nevada may be cancelled this week. It's not a GREAT game, but I'd rather play Nevada than UMass.

11/28: #19 Marshall (5-0) has an opening this week. So does Army (6-1) if they are interested in rescheduling the cancelled September game.

Another option would be to dip back into the MWC for New Mexico's opponent this week--who happens to be......drumroll......Utah State in Logan. Honestly I'd be good with any of the 3 options discussed for this week. Even a win against one of these other G5s isn't likely to impress poll voters that much--it is another G5 game anyhow. But I think for general football interest this week has potential late in the season.

12/5: If we look at the "who's playing New Mexico" option this week, they are scheduled to host Wyoming. :gross: If any AAC teams lose any games, they could pick up one here with the exception of Cincinnati/Memphis/Houston/Tulsa who have a game scheduled. Independent Liberty already has a game scheduled here

12/12: I guess technically BYU could add a 12th game here if they can't pick up 2 in the previous 3 openings--usually this is reserved for Army-Navy while teams are prepping for their bowl games--but there are many conferences wrapping up their seasons on this date. I imagine it would be super risky holding out for a game this week.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Could we play an independent championship game with ranked Liberty Dec 19?

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Hard choices here. We don't want to lose a NY6 game but we want a shot at the playoff. On Dec 19 there might be a P5 team looking to move up to the playoff. Could we play some one like Florida or Texas A&M? Should we do it? Would a loss knock us out of the top 10?
Last edited by scott715 on Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

scott715 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:27 pmWould a lost knock us out of the top 1o?
Absolutely. No doubt about it.

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

scott715 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:27 pm Hard choices here. We don't want to lose a NY6 game but we want a shot at the playoff. On Dec 19 there might be a P5 team looking to move up to the playoff. Could we play some one like Florida or Texas A&M? Should we do it? Would a lost knock us out of the top 1o?
I know people have a hard to believing this, but there is no way that BYU, nor Cincinnati will ever be allowed into the CFP championship series. This isn't a democracy. Just not going to happen.

I do remember though Steve Young being interviewed in I believe early season 1984 and saying that he believed that BYU would never be allowed to earn the National Championship. At the time, I agreed with him. But now, the P5's have aligned protections so that such an event never happens again.

The only way it could ever happen is if, like a season BYU was supposed to have before COVID, they beat every P5 on their schedule and one of Minnesota/Michigan St, one of Utah/ASU and Missouri all three won their P5 conference championships and BYU was undefeated. There is no way the CFP could get by that scenario.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

A BYU-Florida game would get a lot of eyeballs and probably on national tv.