NEW 2020 schedule

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Ygridiron4ever
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: NEW 2020 schedule

Post by Ygridiron4ever »

I think ESPN would probably try to get any additional BYU game on national TV because any game with Zach Wilson will get a lot of eyeballs right now.

"Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them." -Einstein
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

Rumblings on other sites that a Thanksgiving week game is coming? No hint on who yet though...

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

https://www.cougarboard.com/board/messa ... 1&tab=potd

. . . caught about 4 minutes of sports talk where the local host was talking to some kind of national pundit about the CFB playoffs. I wish I knew who the pundit was, but I couldn't catch his name and I didn't have time to wait around and listen very long. The host asked about BYU's chances for the playoffs and NY6. The conversation went something like this (paraphrasing):

Host: Let's talk about BYU. Do you think they have a legitimate shot at the playoffs?
Pundit: Not really. Maybe a slim, slim chance, if the stars align.

Host: They've thumped everybody in their path. Why no respect?
Pundit: I think they're getting lots of respect. They're ranked #8, which is quite amazing considering they've played almost nobody. But the formula to make the playoffs is pretty clear - you need the resume' that BYU just doesn't have.

Host: What does BYU need to do to qualify for the playoffs? How can they help their resume'?
Pundit: Play Alabama or Notre Dame or Clemson or Georgia... that's the resume' of the 4 teams who will make it. Look... realistically, nothing is within their control. They need a miracle - for every team ahead of them to lose 2 games. Their SOS just practically disqualifies them.

Host: But assuming BYU can manage to climb to #4 in the polls. Does that get them in?
Pundit: No. The AP poll means nothing. Secondly, I don't see a realistic path for them to get any higher than 6 or 7 in the AP poll.

Host: Is BYU a lock for a NY6 bowl?
Pundit: Close. I wouldn't say they're a lock, but they are definitely in a very strong position.

Host: What can BYU do to secure a NY6 bowl?
Pundit: Not much. The only thing that would really move the needle is to beat a team who will finish in the top-25.

Host: Does the Boise State win help them?
Pundit: Of course. But the weight of that win is still in question. Let's see how BSU's season progresses. It would really help if BSU runs the table and ends up ranked in the teens.

Host: Would a win over Marshall or Liberty move the needle?
Pundit: Not much. Both of those teams are viewed by the committee as top-25 "fill-ins" during a COVID year. From the people I talk to, nobody really believes they are that good. So let's assume BYU beats Liberty in a close game... most people will say 'Wow, BYU barely beat Liberty - are they really as good as we thought?' Or conversely, let's say BYU blows out Liberty - then people will say, "Yeah, that's what we thought... Liberty isn't really much better than LaTech or Houston or the other teams BYU has played.'

Host: You don't think BYU beating a Marshall would help them?
Pundit: Really, not much. Maybe it keeps them in the highlights on Sunday morning, but it doesn't add much meaningful weight to their resume'. To me, there's way more risk than reward in playing that kind of game.

Host: So to secure a NY6 bowl game, you think BYU needs a top-25 win?
Pundit: To make them a lock - yes, they need a win over a team who FINISHES in the top 25. So assuming BYU beats Liberty, I'm guessing they would plummet in the polls. Same for a number of teams. But again - I still think BYU is probably in a NY6 game, regardless.

Host: If you were advising BYU, what would you suggest they do as far as scheduling.
Pundit: I don't know what their options are. Is Army still a possibility? If so, I'd suggest they play that game, because I think a win over Army helps them just about as much as any other game they could realistically schedule. Ideally they could get a P5 team to play them, but that's just not happening So I would just suggest they play their schedule and let the chips fall.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »