Navy Game

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Navy Game

Post by scott715 »

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

Awesome.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

None made the D list

nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

scott715 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:57 am

None made the D list
The tweeter feed says Kaufusi made Nagurski national defensive player of the week. So there is that.

Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

byufan4ever wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:48 pm How much of this game was BYU being awesome vs. Navy just being horrible? They hadn't even done a single contact drill. I felt sorry for them.

TBH I'm not excited for the rest of the schedule. I watched this game on a free trial. Convince me why I should pay to watch the rest of season? I'm also saving up for a major purchase so I really am considering not subscribing to any TV service.
If you can’t answer your own question, you should probably change your screen name. 8)

Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

EM_Puma wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:34 pm
BoiseBYU wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:57 pm
EM_Puma wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:18 pm I'm still trying to understand today how Navy believed it was okay to practice, but that tackling would endanger their players to such an extent that KN set the rules of practice to not include any such contact. It doesn't make sense. I'm sure, same as BYU, they were testing and now they played a game where they had to tackle. It's okay to risk that contact in a game, but not in practice. I guess I'm too logical, because that doesn't make sense to me, but gave him a huge out after getting blown off the field by BYU.
I am sure a lack of scrimmaging affected Navy, but no amount of scrimmaging and live tackling would’ve stopped that debacle. Navy was owned on both sides of the line of scrimmage throughout the entire game. Even the second and third stringers controlled things.
I agree. I just watched After Further Review on BYUtv and David Nixon pointed out that fact that it wasn't so much that Navy was not tackling effectively as it was that BYU was blowing the Midshipmen off the line and opening the way for the offense. That has nothing to do with lack of tackling in their fall camp.
I’m sure game speed was way different for the Navy players, but at the same time these are Division 1 football players. It’s not like they are Ziggy learning how to put pads on for the first time in their lives.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

https://kslsports.com/441629/byu-navy-t ... labor-day/?

The game got 1.145M viewes. Was hoping for 3+.

However Sportsmediawatch prediction:

In ordinary times, the three-day Labor Day weekend marks the return of college football, with a full slate of games Saturday and primetime games Sunday and Monday. Not the case this year. Following a smattering of low-wattage games on Saturday, the Labor Day night game is the kind of matchup that would ordinarily air on CBSSN, or maybe ESPN2 after 10 PM ET. BYU and Navy are at least familiar names, but ratings figure to plunge from last year’s 3.3 for Notre Dame-Louisville. One bright side: in this ratings environment, anything above a 1.0 is pretty solid. Prediction: 1.5.”

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Despite Sportsmediawatch's prediction, I was expecting a whole lot more from a country starving for sports. It was sad to see in the light that BYU's games usually do exceptionally well.

What I don't know is how they determine the numbers. I watched part of the Memphis State game on Saturday, but only because I was interested in an upset, and when I saw there there wasn't going to be one, then I turned it off because I had no skin in this game.

I would like to understand how they come up with the viewer's numbers. It seems to me like it would be difficult to find out for certain how many viewers there are. Just because I watched part of the game, does that figure in. I'm not understanding how they calculate, because I don't believe they can tell what program I'm watching, can they?

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

EM_Puma wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:09 am What I don't know is how they determine the numbers. I watched part of the Memphis State game on Saturday, but only because I was interested in an upset, and when I saw there there wasn't going to be one, then I turned it off because I had no skin in this game.

I would like to understand how they come up with the viewer's numbers. It seems to me like it would be difficult to find out for certain how many viewers there are. Just because I watched part of the game, does that figure in. I'm not understanding how they calculate, because I don't believe they can tell what program I'm watching, can they?
I've read a bit on the process and it seems like, outside of streaming services, viewers are projected based on companies, such as Neilsen, that select a subset of groups and may use a device fitted to TV sets.

My question to that is who are these people? I've never known one person who mentioned they were given such a device to be attached to their TV in all my life. In this day and age, I'd be surprised anyone would cooperate just on their own without any incentive.

I know in the late 1960's, early 1970's, we got a poll sent to our family at random from CBS to hand record a log for a whole week of what one member of the household watched that week and it didn't matter if others watched other shows. They didn't want to know what was watched by a household, but by one person in that household.

I've always been suspect of the numbers provided on viewership because I don't believe in the methods they use to procure that data are accurate.
Last edited by EM_Puma on Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.