BYU vs Houston game thread

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
a1247
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU vs Houston game thread

Post by a1247 »

GAKunkel wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:15 am Rumors on Twitter are that Kalani took over play calling on defense. I have no idea if that is true, but the defense sure looked different/better.

Secondary definitely stepped up. Maybe Harper getting falsely penalized inspired them, but what a game. Wow!
There was a few times the cameras showed KS signaling in the plays.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

I am no expert, but sometimes the when you make your defensive or offensive adjustment is as important as that you make them. If you make them too soon, it gives the other team the chance to respond accordingly. It seemed like our defense adjustments were timed just right because Houston never effectively responded to our adjustments.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

You need to watch this highlight of the GW KSL highlights of the game. Views you never saw watching the ESPN broadcast.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

What a turnaround. 14-26 I thought it was over.

Those long drives by Houston were excruciating. Props to the D for bouncing back. Finally started getting some pressure on Tune and Porter. Dawe was a beast.

Offense needs to work on 3rd/4th and short situations. Playcalling and execution was suspect.

Houston shot themselves in the foot several times with unnecessary penalties and mistakes (fair catch at the 1? Thanks?). I've never seen a declined penalty reversed. Didnt even know a coach/team could do that.

Overall a strong game by BYU. This is a fun team to watch. At least against poor competition, Houston was the beat team BYU has faced and they passed that test. BSU will be looking for redemption and SDSU is always motivated to play BYU.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

BroncoBot wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:04 pm I've never seen a declined penalty reversed. Didn't even know a coach/team could do that.
Yes, I as well didn't know that once you decided and they selection was communicated that you could change your mind before the ball was put back in play. I guess it makes sense, but just never saw it done.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

vancouvercougar wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:59 am We could have run out the clock when we were up 36 - 26, but I’m glad we scored that last TD
They were running out the clock, Algier got free on a run and took it to the end zone.

vancouvercougar
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by vancouvercougar »

frdbtr wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:34 pm
vancouvercougar wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:59 am We could have run out the clock when we were up 36 - 26, but I’m glad we scored that last TD
They were running out the clock, Algier got free on a run and took it to the end zone.
:)

I would have been content with running out the clock, but the score looks more impressive with that TD

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

vancouvercougar wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:09 pm

I would have been content with running out the clock, but the score looks more impressive with that TD
style points are important (not kidding).

GAKunkel
Recruit

Post by GAKunkel »

BroncoBot wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:27 pm
vancouvercougar wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:09 pm

style points are important (not kidding).
With our schedule we need as many style points as we can get. Gotta run that score up.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

EM_Puma wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:05 pm
BroncoBot wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:04 pm I've never seen a declined penalty reversed. Didn't even know a coach/team could do that.
Yes, I as well didn't know that once you decided and they selection was communicated that you could change your mind before the ball was put back in play. I guess it makes sense, but just never saw it done.
My guess is they didn't ask Houston coaches before announcing it was declined. But maybe not.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!