BYU vs Texas State SAT 10/24 ESPN 8:15 PM

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

BYU vs Texas State SAT 10/24 ESPN 8:15 PM

Post by Fido »

Time and broadcast station has been updated for ESPN at 8:15 pm mountain time.

Last week for Texas State against South Alabama, QB Brady McBride went 28/40 for 260 yards and 1 touchdown. They only managed 88 yards rushing split mainly between 3 different backs. Receiving-wise they spread the ball around pretty well with nobody having more than 72 yards receiving.

Defensively they gave up 132 yards rushing and 253 yards passing to South Alabama. This should be a very manageable game where some of the banged up players can get some reset and the depth gain some experience.

Fido
All Star

Re: BYU vs Texas State SAT 10/24 ESPN 8:15 PM

Post by Fido »

https://byucougars.com/story/football/1 ... e-Saturday

In accordance with the state of Utah’s new health guidance levels announced earlier this week, the BYU vs. Texas State football game on Saturday, Oct. 24, at LaVell Edwards Stadium will be played with approximately 6,000 spectators in attendance.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

A late game that BYU should be able to put Texas St to bed early.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

The next two games shouldn't be a problem. Boise State should be the next test. But I didn't think UTSA would give us the trouble they did.

Maybe I'm just like a battered spouse who can't trust but I'm still not sold on this team. They showed a lot of grit against Houston and I was pleasantly surprised to see adjustments were made when it looked like Houston had taken the game over.

I'll be more convinced if we beat Boise State. But we will still have our hands full with whoever we would play if we got into a NY6 game. And people need to quit talking about the playoffs or saying "Bring on Clemson." It's ridiculous.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

KingCoug wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:22 pm The next two games shouldn't be a problem. Boise State should be the next test. But I didn't think UTSA would give us the trouble they did.

Maybe I'm just like a battered spouse who can't trust but I'm still not sold on this team. They showed a lot of grit against Houston and I was pleasantly surprised to see adjustments were made when it looked like Houston had taken the game over.

I'll be more convinced if we beat Boise State. But we will still have our hands full with whoever we would play if we got into a NY6 game. And people need to quit talking about the playoffs or saying "Bring on Clemson." It's ridiculous.
I hear you, but I think they've passed the "litmus test" as far as being a very good team, and far more dependable than any other we've seen in a few years. Honestly, I don't have any idea how they would do when facing another Top 20 team and it's a shame we won't know until possibly a bowl game.

I believe a huge portion of the positive exposure that is helping BYU rise in the polls is in having a QB that is considered a high NFL prospect. It adds authenticity to our team as not only are people looking generally at BYU, they're looking specifically to see what Zack Wilson accomplished.

The level of exposure to unknown teams this year has been incredible. I believe I've been able to see every one of Tulane's games this season. When did that last happen? It's not like Utah last season that had a great one, until they got to the end and fell apart, but having so many games on the PAC12 network, which I and a lot of the country do not get because they are not on DirecTv, they were somewhat invisible.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

I sure hope this game and the next have a situation where KW & Co are only playing the 1st half. We need to make it to Boise with our major players healthy.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

I hadn't realized on how close Texas State is to being 4-2 rather than 1-5. They've been unfortunate in 3 very close games and SMU and BC aren't terrible teams considering SMU is ranked #16 in the country.

This could be a bit tougher than I was giving them when I saw their record.
Attachments
Texas State.JPG

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

I bet they rest Gunner for the next 2 weeks. Hammy pulls are fickle and we are going to need him against Boise.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

EM_Puma wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:54 pm I hadn't realized on how close Texas State is to being 4-2 rather than 1-5. They've been unfortunate in 3 very close games and SMU and BC aren't terrible teams considering SMU is ranked #16 in the country.

This could be a bit tougher than I was giving them when I saw their record.
I note the common opponents:

Texas State 48, UTSA 51 (in double OT)
Texas State 17, Troy 37.

BYU 27, UTSA 20
BYU 48, Troy 7

Texas State was tied with #16 SMU in the third quarter and only lost by a single score, 24-31.

So, Texas State could compete with us, just as UTSA did...but BYU could also beat them by 40 points. Depends on which teams show up, how the schemes matchup, and how the ball bounces. BYU wins on paper. But it's the proverbial "that's why they play the game" type of game.