It's game day

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: It's game day

Post by frdbtr »

vancouvercougar wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:33 am I’m ok with running up the score

This is similar but the reverse of the game in 2003

50 to 12
To me, it's not running up the score when the opponent is onside kicking it in a blowout loss. When that happens, you put the first team out there and score again which is what happened.

vancouvercougar
All-American

Post by vancouvercougar »

frdbtr wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:58 am
vancouvercougar wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:33 am I’m ok with running up the score

This is similar but the reverse of the game in 2003

50 to 12
To me, it's not running up the score when the opponent is onside kicking it in a blowout loss. When that happens, you put the first team out there and score again which is what happened.

It was great to score again after the BSU touchdowns

KingCoug
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by KingCoug »

I've been one who hasn't been as "sold" on this team as others but, must say, very impressed with the win last night. The team is beating everyone in their way and by a lot. Solid statement against Boise State, even if they were down some starters. It's not easy winning on the smurf turf.

If BYU can finished 10-0, I think it will be a shoe in for a NY6 game, which I'll be happy to be in. In fact, I'd prefer it. This is a very good team but I don't want any part of Clemson, Alabama or Ohio State. I'd rather win a NY6 game than lose (and maybe get embarrassed) in the playoff.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

Which has a higher pay out?

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

Zach Wilson is getting the attention he's earned, however in watching the highlights I noticed how well the team blocked. There were blocks all over the place. This was for teammates who were getting the runs and catches. In other words this is a team effort. Another thing I saw was the play calling and the execution of the plays. This is the coaches. I would make the case that this is the best team in the nation. They may not beat all other teams but of the elements that make a team, BYU may have more of them than the rest.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

KingCoug wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:32 pm I've been one who hasn't been as "sold" on this team as others but, must say, very impressed with the win last night. The team is beating everyone in their way and by a lot. Solid statement against Boise State, even if they were down some starters. It's not easy winning on the smurf turf.

If BYU can finished 10-0, I think it will be a shoe in for a NY6 game, which I'll be happy to be in. In fact, I'd prefer it. This is a very good team but I don't want any part of Clemson, Alabama or Ohio State. I'd rather win a NY6 game than lose (and maybe get embarrassed) in the playoff.
I don't think this team would get embarrassed in the playoff. They may lose but I don't think they would be embarrassed. Having said that, there is no way the committee will put them in. The playoff is set up to keep G5 teams out. The bread crumbs they left the G5 is a NY6 game which is where BYU will end up.

Sharper
Recruit

Post by Sharper »

scott715 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:44 pm Which has a higher pay out?
Based on last year, playoff is about $6M, regular NY6 is closer to $4.5M.

Notably, if you go to the playoffs, you don't get extra money for winning and going to the final game, nor for winning the whole thing. All four teams split the money equally.

Of course, who knows how COVID will impact NY6 attendance/tickets and thus profits available to share out. Presumably, their TV contract is the big money, though.

a1247
Heisman Winner

Post by a1247 »

Anyone else worried that the NY6 bowls have a contract to only put the highest ranked G5 team in a NY6 game which right now would be Cincinnati. There is no way they let 2 teams from outside the P5 collect the millions of dollars that they feel should be funneled into the pockets of only P5 programs.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

If we finish 10-0, we need to make enough noise about not being in the CFP that we land a NY6 game.

I'd love to have the shot at the playoffs, but a NY6 game is a huge accomplishment and one we've never enjoyed under this new format.

Ygridiron4ever
Freshman

Post by Ygridiron4ever »

EM_Puma wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:18 pm .......but a NY6 game is a huge accomplishment and one we've never enjoyed under this new format.
.....And it would be so cool to get there before Utah even though they have a clear path.

If they ever win a national championship..... we did first
If they ever have a Heisman winner...... we did first
If they ever make an NY6 bowl........ here’s hoping!

"Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them." -Einstein