Gary Anderson USU parting ways

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
GAKunkel
Recruit

Re: Gary Anderson USU parting ways

Post by GAKunkel »

snoscythe wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:39 pm I'd be fine if they took Grimes.
I wouldn't mind another year or two out of Grimes, but I don't see him staying longer than that at BYU.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Post by scott715 »

Grimes has been good for our OL and he is growing as a OC. I want him as long as possible.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

scott715 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:53 pm Grimes has been good for our OL and he is growing as a OC. I want him as long as possible.
I agree on the OL, but I think the improvement in the offense has more to do with the ascension of Roderick than the growth of Grimes.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

I love it how people believe that someone other than the Ocoordinator is responsible for the offenses success. Just like last year when the offense played well, Roderick was calling the plays, when the offense struggled, Grimes was calling the plays. Kind of like in 2010 when the offense was playing well, Doman was calling the plays and when the offense struggled Anae was calling the plays. I would be very disappointed if BYU lets Grimes go for any reason and not just because he is responsible for the best offensive line play (twice) BYU has had since Roger French retired, but he is turning into a very good play caller.

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

"I would not have come back here to BYU if I didn't love it here ... hopefully I'm here as long as they'll keep me."

@coachgrimey
on his long-term future at BYU.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Nice quote until a HC offer comes along. Glad that he is happy here.

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

Now Jason Shelley is dismissed from the team for "violation of team rules".

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I hope Grimes is smart enough to stay away from Logan. That's a place where coaching careers go to die.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

frdbtr wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:34 pm I love it how people believe that someone other than the Ocoordinator is responsible for the offenses success. Just like last year when the offense played well, Roderick was calling the plays, when the offense struggled, Grimes was calling the plays. Kind of like in 2010 when the offense was playing well, Doman was calling the plays and when the offense struggled Anae was calling the plays. I would be very disappointed if BYU lets Grimes go for any reason and not just because he is responsible for the best offensive line play (twice) BYU has had since Roger French retired, but he is turning into a very good play caller.
So, based on your comment, it appears you believe Grimes is putting together the whole playbook and calling all of the plays? Because that is not the case. Aaron Roderick took over play-calling responsibilities for a portion of last season. Kalani has given some, but not all of the play-calling responsibilities to Grimes this year, but Roderick is the passing game coordinator and is responsible for the design of our passing plays. Grimes as OC chooses to call a running-play or passing-play, but when he chooses a passing play, Roderick is picking the specific play, not Grimes.

Based on their tenure at BYU, if forced to allocate credit for the suddenly explosive offense, I would give more credit to the guy who was given added responsibilities between 2019 and 2020, not to the guy who has lost responsibilities between the two seasons.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

snoscythe wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:09 pm
frdbtr wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:34 pm I love it how people believe that someone other than the Ocoordinator is responsible for the offenses success. Just like last year when the offense played well, Roderick was calling the plays, when the offense struggled, Grimes was calling the plays. Kind of like in 2010 when the offense was playing well, Doman was calling the plays and when the offense struggled Anae was calling the plays. I would be very disappointed if BYU lets Grimes go for any reason and not just because he is responsible for the best offensive line play (twice) BYU has had since Roger French retired, but he is turning into a very good play caller.
So, based on your comment, it appears you believe Grimes is putting together the whole playbook and calling all of the plays? Because that is not the case. Aaron Roderick took over play-calling responsibilities for a portion of last season. Kalani has given some, but not all of the play-calling responsibilities to Grimes this year, but Roderick is the passing game coordinator and is responsible for the design of our passing plays. Grimes as OC chooses to call a running-play or passing-play, but when he chooses a passing play, Roderick is picking the specific play, not Grimes.

Based on their tenure at BYU, if forced to allocate credit for the suddenly explosive offense, I would give more credit to the guy who was given added responsibilities between 2019 and 2020, not to the guy who has lost responsibilities between the two seasons.
Nope, don't put words in my mouth. You can give credit to whomever you feel like. I am talking about conspiracy theories that have no basis in fact, like when everyone thought Doman was calling plays when the offense was successful in 2010. I listen to the coaches shows. I know who the passing game coordinator is, Grimes even tells the media who suggested specific plays like the onside kick he credited to Ed Lamb. Grimes also admits that the playbook was put together by all the offensive coaches when he first arrived. You in your statement said that if Grimes left, the offense wouldn't miss a beat because Roderick is calling the plays anyway, which is not the case. Grimes calls the plays, Roderick gives his input from the booth just like every other offense in the US. If Grimes left for a head coaching job, I believe our offense would suffer from an Oline perspective, but I believe it would also suffer in overall play calling since Grimes has learned how to be a very good play caller. Have you forgotten that Roderick was fired as the Ocoordinator up at the U because he sucked at play calling? Probably.