Early Signing Day - 12/16/2020

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Early Signing Day - 12/16/2020

Post by EM_Puma »

I hadn't heard this, but I'm expecting that Mitch Harper, a BYU Insider for KSLsports.com and host of the Cougar Tracks Podcast, would know. I was hoping as much.

He said, "The number of seniors on this year’s current roster that could return next year, which would impact the 123-man roster but wouldn’t count against the 85 scholarship total, is another factor."

So, it sounds like if a scholarship senior stays for that extra year granted, their scholarship won't count against a team only having 85 scholarship players, but the teams still have to remain no higher than 123 players on the full roster when school begins. Still, I imagine there might be a few of those seniors that might be told that their careers have ended. I don't know. It will affect PWO numbers. Something has to give somewhere, but I'm glad they did extend the number of scholarship players for 2021. It's going to be tough for a lot of universities though, who are already reeling after the COVID induced low revenue of 2020, to now have to pay more scholarships. This new rule didn't just apply to football at a university.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

It is going to be interesting--but I would expect most of the seniors to be moving on even if they could have another year for free. If they are on track with schooling they may be completing their degree and be ready to move forward with a career. If any shot at NFL prospects, most would go now before they are another year older and have that factor against their chance at making an NFL team. Playing nearly a full schedule may actually help some guys as others didn't have much if any of a senior year to give NFL scouts film to review.
There should be plenty of January news leading up to spring camp.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

If you want to be depressed for someone on early signing day, check out Utah State's prospects page on 247. They still have Gary Anderson listed as head coach, show only 4 2021 commits and only 1 of them signed yesterday (a kid out of Smithfield). One of their unsigned commits (Tupou Maile from Bingham HS) also appears on BYU's "interested" list like they might be trying to flip him.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

Fido wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:16 am If you want to be depressed for someone on early signing day, check out Utah State's prospects page on 247. They still have Gary Anderson listed as head coach, show only 4 2021 commits and only 1 of them signed yesterday (a kid out of Smithfield). One of their unsigned commits (Tupou Maile from Bingham HS) also appears on BYU's "interested" list like they might be trying to flip him.
Wasn't Maile the name of the interim coach who claimed racial and religious discrimination?

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

BroncoBot wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:21 pm
Fido wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:16 am If you want to be depressed for someone on early signing day, check out Utah State's prospects page on 247. They still have Gary Anderson listed as head coach, show only 4 2021 commits and only 1 of them signed yesterday (a kid out of Smithfield). One of their unsigned commits (Tupou Maile from Bingham HS) also appears on BYU's "interested" list like they might be trying to flip him.
Wasn't Maile the name of the interim coach who claimed racial and religious discrimination?
Yes, Frank Maile was the interim head coach. It appears likely he is on his way out the door and he is Tupou "Bo" Maile's Uncle. https://247sports.com/college/utah-stat ... 149495873/
In this interview he says that his Uncle Frank Maile was the recruiter who he worked with on the commitment in July--but that the biggest influence in getting him there is his cousin Sione Moa who signed with USU in 2019. But he also says all along that his plan was to not commit early in December but wait until February when he can have some family come out for it. BYU came in late and gave him his 2nd offer in November.