Grimes

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
a1247
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Grimes

Post by a1247 »

I think we all have heard that Grimes and Mateos were not at the game tonight. Most dismissed it as covid related. Twitter is abuzz about Grimes possibly being in Boise for the BSU head coaching position. Also there was chatter about him going to be the OC at Auburn. Then I seen this about him possibly going to LSU to be the OC there.

I think no matter what Grimes will be leaving BYU and getting a big fat raise from another school over the next couple of weeks. And he deserves it. I feel good about ARod and Fesi Sitake taking over the OC duties.

Fido
All Star

Re: Grimes

Post by Fido »

Eric Mateos confirmed he was home with Corona--but who knows with Grimes. Seeing BYU players and coaches have continued success after their time at BYU is also a sign of program health. I guess we'll wait and see.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

I've been saying for a year and a half that BYU's offense may very well be better without Jeff Grimes calling the plays.

Last night solidified that opinion for me.

a1247
Heisman Winner

Post by a1247 »

I am ok with Grimes leaving, what he has done has been great but I really believe in ARod and especially in Fesi as Co-OC's. And that will leave an opening for John Beck to come in as QB coach. :crazy:

Mates on the other hand would be a gigantic lose. What he has done with the oline has been nothing short of amazing and I want to see what he can do going forward.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

a1247 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:52 am I am ok with Grimes leaving, what he has done has been great but I really believe in ARod and especially in Fesi as Co-OC's. And that will leave an opening for John Beck to come in as QB coach. :crazy:

Mates on the other hand would be a gigantic lose. What he has done with the oline has been nothing short of amazing and I want to see what he can do going forward.
I do think we need to manage expectations for the 2021 staff a bit. No matter who the OC is next year--Grimes, Roderick, Andy Reid, etc, I fully expect the offense to take a significant step back. It's going to take yeoman's work to replace Wilson, Milne, 3+ OL starters, and more, and we aren't going to be playing a WAC schedule in 2021 either.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Fido wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:11 am Eric Mateos confirmed he was home with Corona--but who knows with Grimes. Seeing BYU players and coaches have continued success after their time at BYU is also a sign of program health. I guess we'll wait and see.
Either that, or he's being fully honest about how he is celebrating being free from the Honor Code

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Grimes, Mateos were both out with COVID. I have that confirmed from sources inside the program.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Kind of strange then for Mateos to be texting the Corona. I don't have any problem with him having a cold one if that's his choice, but a bit unusual for someone who is coaching at BYU to flaunt such an event.

Hmmmm.

a1247
Heisman Winner

Post by a1247 »

snoscythe wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:55 am
a1247 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:52 am I am ok with Grimes leaving, what he has done has been great but I really believe in ARod and especially in Fesi as Co-OC's. And that will leave an opening for John Beck to come in as QB coach. :crazy:

I do think we need to manage expectations for the 2021 staff a bit. No matter who the OC is next year--Grimes, Roderick, Andy Reid, etc, I fully expect the offense to take a significant step back. It's going to take yeoman's work to replace Wilson, Milne, 3+ OL starters, and more, and we aren't going to be playing a WAC schedule in 2021 either.
Absolutely, it is going to be hard not having an NFL grade arm under center next year with 3 possible NFL offensive linemen blocking for him.

I was never sold on Romney as the QB over Zach when a lot of other were. I really liked Halls abilities but maybe he needs to protect his health and concentrate on baseball.
I am excited to see what Jacob Conover or Sol-Jay Maiva-Peters can do. Conover was a 4 star recruite coming out of high school a top 300 kid. There has been talk about what he has been doing as the scout team qb. I really think Conover will be lining up under center next year against Arizona. If not Conover then I think it will be Hall.

a1247
Heisman Winner

Post by a1247 »

Is anyone even remotely surprised?

#1 he deserves it!
#2 for the love all things if he goes PLEASE O PLEASE don't take Mateos with you. Do the program this one favor Jeff.