Ty Jordan, Utah football player past away

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Ty Jordan, Utah football player past away

Post by SpiffCoug »

I will fully acknowledge my wrongness in calling it a suicide at the time. Given the information NOW available, it does seem that it was not an intentional act. But at the time that was not the case. I made a conclusion based on the information available at the time.

I do not believe suicide is wrong or a sin. I don't know what is going on in people's minds who do take their own life. I do not think they were bad people or are going to hell for doing so.

Early reports made it seem like they were talking around a suicide without actually calling it a suicide. I'm not an ass-hat or a tool for drawing that conclusion 50+ hours before being called that here. Calling me that after more information came out is also an ass-hat since more information became more available.

It is STILL a tragic event. Which is what I said at the time as well. My condolences go out to the Jordan family who have had an even shittier 2020 than most people.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Nah. It was a total ass-hat move to go off of "accidental self-inflicted" gunshot wound and tell the world a 19-year old kid had committed suicide on Christmas.
SpiffCoug wrote:"accidental self-inflicted" gunshot wound is a nicer way of saying suicide, or took their own life, or killed themself.
The only new detail since you doubled down was the report of where the wound was located. You just assumed it was suicide and decided to declare it so when all that was available was "accidental self-inflicted" gunshot wound like you had some pompous ability to read between the lines.

I can understand someone looking at initial reports and thinking to themselves or privately "Gee, I wonder if this was a suicide."

There's a world of difference between having those private doubts and coming onto fanboards and publicly stating for anyone who happens to browse by that Ty Jordan committed suicide. That's the tool move. I get that you don't like being called out, but I can't think of something lower than what you did here.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Yes, because the world is looking to my insights on this random corner of the Internet for the final, end-all-be-all analysis.

I've admitted I was wrong. I didn't double down. I didn't delete the post. I'll let my wrongness stand as a witness against my wrongness and insensitivity.

And yes, that additional information DOES greatly change the conclusions I would have drawn had it been originally available.

Suicide is always tragic. The death of any young person is always tragic. I was not mocking Ty nor his family. I was not making suicidal jokes. I was not condemning him.

I drew a logical conclusion I would not have drawn with the information that was later available.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!