CFB Post-COVID

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

CFB Post-COVID

Post by snoscythe »

Watching these bowl games, I've found myself wondering how college football may look different into the future as we move past COVID. Curious how others see the future panning out. Here are some of my thoughts:

- remote commentator broadcasts happening more and more and becoming the norm for lower-tier games
- fewer non-conference games between P5 and non-P5 games as 2020 CFP committee eliminated incentives for them
- sell-outs become a rarity for all but a few programs for next 3+ years

What else?

a1247
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: CFB Post-COVID

Post by a1247 »

snoscythe wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:27 pm Watching these bowl games, I've found myself wondering how college football may look different into the future as we move past COVID. Curious how others see the future panning out. Here are some of my thoughts:

- remote commentator broadcasts happening more and more and becoming the norm for lower-tier games
- fewer non-conference games between P5 and non-P5 games as 2020 CFP committee eliminated incentives for them

What else?
Your spot on about the commentators. With ESPN trying to save money its got to be a money saver not sending commentators to games. So I don't see that ending completely.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

a1247 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:50 pm
snoscythe wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:27 pm Watching these bowl games, I've found myself wondering how college football may look different into the future as we move past COVID. Curious how others see the future panning out. Here are some of my thoughts:

What else?
Your spot on about the commentators. With ESPN trying to save money its got to be a money saver not sending commentators to games. So I don't see that ending completely.
Honestly, I have always wondered how commentators could even see games well as high up in the stadium they often have been. I've always thought that it would be better to see the game on TV than up in the booth with Greg Wrubell, so I don't have any problem with the commentators not being in-house. I can only think of one game this season where one of the two individuals was a bit behind watching on his screen about something that he had missed, but once again, easily could have missed that same item watching from so high above the field.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

Watching a game in front of no crowd or a very limited-size crowd makes for a less entertaining game. Perhaps not for the team's fans, who will watch no matter what, but for interested fans in general. This seems even more so for basketball. When I watch clips of crowds going crazy in years past and compare it now to what we see, well I think TV viewership will decline with all that entails....

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

BoiseBYU wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:29 am Watching a game in front of no crowd or a very limited-size crowd makes for a less entertaining game. Perhaps not for the team's fans, who will watch no matter what, but for interested fans in general. This seems even more so for basketball. When I watch clips of crowds going crazy in years past and compare it now to what we see, well I think TV viewership will decline with all that entails....
It's a sad reflection of where we are, but I actually found myself appreciating the fake motorized Cheez-It fans they had in the stands for the Cheez-It Bowl yesterday. Faker than fake, but it made the game feel more real.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

Haha. Sort of like Disney’s Hall of Presidents?

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

BoiseBYU wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:53 pm Haha. Sort of like Disney’s Hall of Presidents?
Hah! Yes, but completely outside of the uncanny valley.