Community Economic Benefit of P5 Status

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Community Economic Benefit of P5 Status

Post by snoscythe »

The AD and President of Baylor went and testified before the Texas legislature about the impact of Texas' move to the SEC and the (very real) fear that this move could cost other Texas universities their P5 status.

One of the interesting things that came out of their testimony was the claim of how losing P5 status would harm the local economies for Baylor, Texas Tech, and TCU: "Losing Power 5 status would have devastating financial implications for Waco, Lubbock and Fort Worth – in excess of $569.1 million in annual gross product and 7,615 jobs, according to a report from the Perryman Group."

That's a lot of moolah beyond the media fees that the school itself collects....

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Community Economic Benefit of P5 Status

Post by BoiseBYU »

snoscythe wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:45 am The AD and President of Baylor went and testified before the Texas legislature about the impact of Texas' move to the SEC and the (very real) fear that this move could cost other Texas universities their P5 status.

One of the interesting things that came out of their testimony was the claim of how losing P5 status would harm the local economies for Baylor, Texas Tech, and TCU: "Losing Power 5 status would have devastating financial implications for Waco, Lubbock and Fort Worth – in excess of $569.1 million in annual gross product and 7,615 jobs, according to a report from the Perryman Group."

That's a lot of moolah beyond the media fees that the school itself collects....
Interesting. I have always been very suspicious of these so-called economic reports where if, for example, the taxpayers, fund a new stadium it will bring kazillions of dollars to the local economy etc etc etc. The studies are sometimes flawed because they assume that if the stadium is not built or the college does not have certain status no other economic behavior will replace it. I have not reviewed the Perryman Group's report and maybe they do control for that, BUT like I said these reports raise red flags for me.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

I have a hard time believing those numbers.

GAKunkel
Recruit

Post by GAKunkel »

Nearly 600 million…I don’t buy that.

I mean sure there would be a loss in revenue because there may be fewer fans traveling to games, but over half a billion? That’s a lot of hotel rooms, tshirts, and hotdogs.