Hall or Romney?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Hall or Romney?

Post by frdbtr »

snoscythe wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:26 pm
frdbtr wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:00 pmDon't even get me started on the defense.
Defense wasn't the primary culprit today, but boy were they frustrating to watch.

There was a 3rd and 2 on Boise's last FG drive where BSU lined up with 3 receivers tripped to the right.

BYU shifted three over to cover, but they were all 5+ yards off the LOS, and two defenders were stacked on the inside receiver, with no one on top of the middle receiver. I remind you, this is on THIRD DOWN WITH TWO YARDS TO GAIN.

Bachmeier saw the line up, audibled to a quick pitch for an easy 6 yard gain. Receiver was well across the first down line before contact.

The defense gave up a critical first down there by scheme. No idea what they were doing. Mind bottling.
I remember that play. Tuiaki has no idea how to get a team off the field. The defense works when we have a 10 point lead but is terrible when you are trying to come back. Bend but don't break doesn't work when you are trying to get the ball back to win the game.

It was a full team loss though, can't just blame the defense. Roderick's play calling was horribly conservative until we were desperate to try to come back. Without the turnovers, BYU wins this game so that is main culprit but there were a bunch of other factors that were part of it as well.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

snoscythe wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:50 pm Well, we got to see a lot of receivers having to stop and wait on deep balls or come back to underthrown balls tonight.

I think one deep ball was thrown to where a receiver could catch in stride.

We also saw the coaches trying to keep Hall safe in a pocket. If that's the new game plan -- keep Hall away from runs and taking hits, I think it's a no-brainer to go with a healthy Romney. I don't think Romney was able to go this afternoon, so it's not like the coaches had a choice, but if they have that choice at Baylor, I don't think Hall's offense will put up nearly enough points to top Baylor.
100% agreed.
I assume Baylor couldn't go and hall was able to play but was not 100%. Hall as game manager didn't get it done for BYU yesterday. I'd assume he'll be healed up pretty soon and BYU coaches will have a tough choice on their hands... (and potentially a transfer).

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

I'd love to go back and play BSU and Baylor with Romney at QB.

The defense just isn't getting it done. Really, it never has against good teams in the Sitake era. Yeah, they had good numbers last year (against possibly the worst schedule BYU has played in decades) but even coastal carolina gave BYU's D the biz.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Romney would have made no difference in the outcome of this game. The Defense can't get anyone off the field right now. It has been since Keenan Pili's injury since our defense has played half way decent. We beat 2 inferior opponents with them playing like crap but got bitten against the last 2 with them playing like crap. We are going to be 5-4 after the Virginia game unless something drastic happens with the defense.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

BroncoBot wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:20 pm I'd love to go back and play BSU and Baylor with Romney at QB.

The defense just isn't getting it done. Really, it never has against good teams in the Sitake era. Yeah, they had good numbers last year (against possibly the worst schedule BYU has played in decades) but even coastal carolina gave BYU's D the biz.
I've been a big fan of Romney, but I thought Hall played well given the playing calling. I'll probably make this comment elsewhere, but I though A-Rod was as guilty as Tuiaki against Baylor. I lost count of the number of times we went for a short yardage play on third and long. Hall though I thought threw the ball well and did you see that he's finally throwing spirals? I kid you not at the beginning of the season his lame duck throws were making my stomach sick just watching them. His run was beautiful, but Arod has to call his number more. Not like Michael Vick. But if he's not running 5 times a game then we are underutilizing him. Or his he made of glass and they're afraid he's gonna break?

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Since halftime of the USF games, our opponents have had 37 drives. 3 of them were Baylor's 1 play 1st half Hail Mary and two knee downs (Boise & Baylor). So that's 34 drives.

Those 34 drives have featured:
  • 15 drives that lasted 8 or more plays (.441)
    • 7 drives that lasted 5 or more minutes (.206)
    • 19 drives that scored (.559)
    • 7 drives that went 3-and-out (.206)
    • 2 turnovers (.059)
    • 29 of 59 3rd down attempts (.492) including
    • 11 of 25 (.440) on 3rd & 7 or longer
    • 7 of 10 4th down attempts (.700)
    • 51 chunk plays plays (runs between 7-14 yds passesbetween 10-19 yds (18.9 % of plays)
    • 17 explosive plays (runs 15+ yds passes 20+ yds (6.7% of plays)
    • so more than 25% of opponent plays are gaining huge yards.
    Bottom line what's ailing the BYU Cougars right now is a defensive inability to get off the field.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

byufan4ever wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:51 am
BroncoBot wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:20 pm I'd love to go back and play BSU and Baylor with Romney at QB.

I've been a big fan of Romney, but I thought Hall played well given the playing calling. I'll probably make this comment elsewhere, but I though A-Rod was as guilty as Tuiaki against Baylor. I lost count of the number of times we went for a short yardage play on third and long. Hall though I thought threw the ball well and did you see that he's finally throwing spirals? I kid you not at the beginning of the season his lame duck throws were making my stomach sick just watching them. His run was beautiful, but Arod has to call his number more. Not like Michael Vick. But if he's not running 5 times a game then we are underutilizing him. Or his he made of glass and they're afraid he's gonna break?
I've thought about this. Been a nice honeymoon for A-rod. Very little critique from fans so far.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

SpiffCoug wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:38 pm Since halftime of the USF games, our opponents have had 37 drives. 3 of them were Baylor's 1 play 1st half Hail Mary and two knee downs (Boise & Baylor). So that's 34 drives.

Those 34 drives have featured:
  • 15 drives that lasted 8 or more plays (.441)
    • 7 drives that lasted 5 or more minutes (.206)
    • 19 drives that scored (.559)
    • 7 drives that went 3-and-out (.206)
    • 2 turnovers (.059)
    • 29 of 59 3rd down attempts (.492) including
    • 11 of 25 (.440) on 3rd & 7 or longer
    • 7 of 10 4th down attempts (.700)
    • 51 chunk plays plays (runs between 7-14 yds passesbetween 10-19 yds (18.9 % of plays)
    • 17 explosive plays (runs 15+ yds passes 20+ yds (6.7% of plays)
    • so more than 25% of opponent plays are gaining huge yards.
    Bottom line what's ailing the BYU Cougars right now is a defensive inability to get off the field.
This. Defense is the biggest culprit right now. Hall played well enough against BSU and Baylor to get the win.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Hall completed 3 passes of 45 yards or longer in the Baylor game. Romney, who is an excellent long throw QB has never done that, in fact, only a handful of QBs at BYU ever have. A lack of accurate down field passing is not an issue with this offense.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

hawkwing wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:00 pm Hall completed 3 passes of 45 yards or longer in the Baylor game. Romney, who is an excellent long throw QB has never done that, in fact, only a handful of QBs at BYU ever have.
LOL.

How many games has Romney played in where (a) the run game was absolutely ineffective, and (b) BYU was playing from 2+ scores behind? That's a ripe recipe for additional downfield attempts.

I don't think we want to brag about who got more desperation heaves downfield as a sign of who throws a better deep ball than who.

Here's a less situationally driven statistic--Romney has completed 6-of-7 deep passes this season for 244 yards and a TD, good for a 425.7 passer rating on deep passes.

Here are the career numbers, including Hall:

Hall is no slouch, but no one can convince me Hall is anywhere near Romney on deep routes.