Tuiaki needs to be replaced.

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Tuiaki needs to be replaced.

Post by BroncoBot »

KingCoug wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:54 pm
redneckjedi wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:05 pmI'm not sure if Tuiaki needs to go or not. The Utah game showed he can put together a beautiful game plan, but I do question whether he can adapt once it's clear the opponent has identified a weakness. I remember games where Bronco was forced to play with 2 d-lineman, and went full Sun Tsu with alignments I've never seen before to turn things back to his advantage. I miss that. There were very few games where I felt like Bronco wouldn't come up with an answer on defense.
I agree with that. As big a critic as I was of Bronco as a HC in the later years, he usually had a great defense. I wish we still had him as DC. Those kind of coaching moves you're talking about, when have we ever seen that from Tuiaki?
We've seen adjustments game to game (Utah game being a good example) but VERY little in game adjustments. Or so it seems to this fan.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

One theory I've heard was that Kalani personally created the Utah game plan, implemented it, and coached it. I don't believe in these kinds of theories, like the rumors floating around that AROD coached all of the good offensive games and Grimes game planned and coached all the bad offensive games. But people have been saying that's what the staff around the edges of the football team have said.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

BoiseBYU wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:31 am We lost this game not because we were out coached but because Baylor won both sides of the line of scrimmage. Coaches adjusted to stop the run. It didn’t help. Coaches tried to run the ball. It didn’t help. Coaches tried to pressure the QB. It didn’t help. Our linemen lost the battle on both sides. If you want Tuiaki fired you should also want Rodderick fired because our offense could sustain no drives, letting the D have a rest. 17 points and one TD in garbage time is not going to do it either. Baylor was the better team. P. S. I’m a broken record but we really really miss Pili.
See that is what I can't understand. Was this guy a 1 man wrecking crew? Since the very play he went out Tuiaki stopped calling an aggressive defense.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

BroncoBot wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:23 pm I think Tuiaki is working with what he's got, but the product on the field isn't getting it done. It's fine when you're playing USU or USF to get a lead and then hold on, but good teams do just what BSU and Baylor did, score, and get BYU's offense off the field (and create turnovers).

tuiaki got to change something. A loss this week would be a bit concerning.
I don't see BYU winning any of the rest of our power 5 opponents they way the defense is currently playing. Washington State is no slouch even though they lost to USU, Virginia is leading the NCAA in passing yards. USC may be in disarray but I can't discount them either.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

hawkwing wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:59 am One theory I've heard was that Kalani personally created the Utah game plan, implemented it, and coached it. I don't believe in these kinds of theories, like the rumors floating around that AROD coached all of the good offensive games and Grimes game planned and coached all the bad offensive games. But people have been saying that's what the staff around the edges of the football team have said.
I bought into those conspiracy theories when they were floating around during the Doman vs Anae rumors back in 2010. No more, last years offense was Grimes, this years offense is Arod. Tuiaki owns the defense when they are good (ala Utah), and when they are bad (ala Baylor). I gave him credit for the aggressive Utah defense and he deserves the blame for the defense since Pili went out in the second half of ASU. My problem with him is as soon as he loses an integral part of his plan (ala Pili) he goes back to his comfort zone which is dropping 8 80% of the time. I'm sick of it. We need a coach who can figure out how to use the guys we have to get teams off the freaking field. Bronco dealt with injuries on the defense his entire time at BYU and his defenses were always good. The only exceptions to that were when he turned the Dcoordinator duties over to others in 2010 and 2014.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

byufan4ever wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:58 pm So how badly do you want Tuiaki replaced? What if it means Sitake has to go to?

I'm not saying I want Sitake gone, I'm just curious as to how badly some people Tuiaki gone.
So to quote myself, how badly do you people want Tuiaki gone? I honestly believe Tuiaki only leaves if Sitake does...

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

byufan4ever wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:38 am
byufan4ever wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:58 pm So how badly do you want Tuiaki replaced? What if it means Sitake has to go to?

I'm not saying I want Sitake gone, I'm just curious as to how badly some people Tuiaki gone.
So to quote myself, how badly do you people want Tuiaki gone? I honestly believe Tuiaki only leaves if Sitake does...
Is Sitake worth keeping around IF tuiaki is the reason the defense can't get stops and Sitake won't let him go? Last year schedule was a huge boon to Sitake's resume, was it a fluke year with a weak schedule? Are we willing to keep Sitake around cause he's a nice guy who recruits well but loses to most p5s? I haven't made up my mind at this point. Just some questions I've been mulling.

We've got a few years to find out. I don't think BYU will fire him.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

If he can get better recruits with the BIG12 name, it will cover some of our D problems in the future. Stay the course for now. Homoe is on the inside, he know if Tuiaki is the problem.

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

BroncoBot wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:35 pm
KingCoug wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:54 pm
redneckjedi wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:05 pmI'm not sure if Tuiaki needs to go or not. The Utah game showed he can put together a beautiful game plan, but I do question whether he can adapt once it's clear the opponent has identified a weakness. I remember games where Bronco was forced to play with 2 d-lineman, and went full Sun Tsu with alignments I've never seen before to turn things back to his advantage. I miss that. There were very few games where I felt like Bronco wouldn't come up with an answer on defense.
I agree with that. As big a critic as I was of Bronco as a HC in the later years, he usually had a great defense. I wish we still had him as DC. Those kind of coaching moves you're talking about, when have we ever seen that from Tuiaki?
We've seen adjustments game to game (Utah game being a good example) but VERY little in game adjustments. Or so it seems to this fan.
That's what I'm talking about - in game adjustments. Neither this coaching staff, or Bronco's, are/were particularly good at them.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director