Wyoming

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Wyoming

Post by byufan4ever »

I scored a good deal on two tickets so my son and I went to the game. Those bleacher seats are extremely uncomfortable and that section (103) is packed in tighter than economy on a plane. Zero knee space. But it was a fun atmosphere and we had a good time. My thoughts on the game:

*I honestly try to be objective when it comes to referees (having been a paid basketball ref), but these were either downright terrible or even purposely trying to manipulate the game. Usually only the losing team's fans complain about the refs, but these were so bad that it's my first comment about the game. Maybe people watching on TV had better viewing angles and replays, but from where I was sitting there were several gross errors and from what I saw online I wasn't the only one disgusted by them. The refs basically gave Wyoming two TDs and erased one of ours making us settle for a FG. Score should have been 42-10. That play where we batted down the Wyoming pass, it clearly hit the ground. No whistle, ball bounces, we scoop it up and run and then a very ticky tack blocking in the back is called. The refs convene and then say that it was an incomplete pass, but the penalty which happened after the incomplete pass still stands??!! This seriously goes down as top 2 worst calls I have ever seen in my life.

* Game clock management. 3 TOs burned because we couldn't get a snap off. The crowd started counting down to help out Sitake and Hall. Post game Sitake blamed the refs saying that they were holding onto the ball after their subs for much longer than they were used to. Even though I already complained about the refs I'm not so sure about this. He also said that maybe they are using too many special package plays. Sometimes you just gotta go with the same 11 for two or three or even four plays in a row.

*Hall was amazing. Good reads, accurate throws, much better spiral for the most part. He was in the zone. I'd be happy with just about abandoning the run game or at least going 75% pass plays. No Romney, Roberts, not much of Nacua, and he just keeps finding his receivers whoever they are.

*Kudos to the receivers for stepping up. It just seems to be next man up. This game it was Hill. Dragging that defender for 15+ yards into the end zone was awesome! And that penalty on his dance celebration was so lame. I will be the first to preach about how we need more sportsmanship from coaches, players, and fans. But he was not taunting the Wyoming players or their fans. This is a sport. It's entertainment. Dancing after a TD should be allowed. Rant over.

*Miles Davis stepped up in the rushing game in the second half which was much needed. But I want to see some consistency over a few games before I start naming him the undisputed RB1. With that said, it was very nice to see his burst and jukes. He deserved a TD.

*As bad as the first half was it does appear that our coaches made HT adjustments. We were much better against the run in the second half and the Wyoming coach said after the game that the defensive adjustments by BYU made the difference. Offensive play calling was much better too.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Wyoming

Post by Fido »

One outcome of the game may be some shuffling of the RB depth chart. Miles Davis clearly the man of the game with 13 carries for 131 yards, and added another 4 receptions for 21 yards. Brooks only managed 2 carries for 10 yards. Davis did fumble a ball but recovered it and had some young player mistakes in there--but I think you take those mistakes with the production he showed.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Oh and is Jake done as the kicker? He did some extra points, but when it was time for a chip shot FG he didn't get his name called. Also badly whiffed a kickoff. Wasn't he a top rated kicker coming out of HS? Almost committed to the draft/NFL after last season...

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

The Wyoming D was tired by the time Davis got his number called. I am not sure he is that good but he did improved with the reps that he got. Just needs more experience.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

https://www.si.com/college/byu/football ... vs-wyoming

1. Jaren Hall - 91.6
2. Miles Davis - 82.0
3. Keanu Hill - 80.8
4. Puka Nacua - 79.3
5. Tyler Batty - 71.8
6. John Nelson - 71.4
7. Payton Wilgar - 70.6
8. Kingsley Suamataia - 70.0
9. Jakob Robinson - 69.9
10. Fisher Jackson - 68.2

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

Coaches made some adjustments after the first Q and it showed. Hall is a treasure. Tight spirals and really good decisions. His receivers helped out a lot too with YAC, except for the one dropped ball. We seemed to get stronger as the game went on. I’d like to see the replays on some of the penalties because some seemed iffy. Are our only run plays jet streaks and everyone moves left or right? I’m probably overstating but can’t remember too much other.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

We do a lot of zone blocking. It is up to the RB to find the best hole and then hit it. Tyler A was very good at being patient and then hitting the hole hard.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

I've been watching this game on TV to get a different view of it since I was at the game. So far through the third quarter ALL of the TOs due to clock mismanagement were 100% the team's fault, not the refs. So I'm a little disappointed with Sitake blaming the refs for this. As horrible as they were they were not at fault here.

One time we had the play in with 19 seconds left on the play clock but still couldn't get the snap out in time. Another time the offense broke the huddle and was set, but Hall was looking at the sidelines I guess trying to communicate with the coaches. A third time Hall was trying to do a last minute audible but I think one of the receivers was not getting into position correctly and he called a TO.

nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

scott715 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:29 pm

These are great. Thanks Scott. Olsen wasn't happy with the refs either and showed why. I also like how he pointed out how well the Wyoming defensive tackle made a great play. Even though I'm a BYU fan lets give credit where credit is due. I do hope discipline is handed out to the refs.