Post by BroncoBot »

Stars are aligning!

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Tourney Watch 2020

Post by EM_Puma »

Looking at this matrix though, we would still be down about a 6 seed. I don't know that I think we'll be that low unless we lose the next game.

https://bracketresearch.com/projected-n ... omparison/

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

EM_Puma wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:01 pm Looking at this matrix though, we would still be down about a 6 seed. I don't know that I think we'll be that low unless we lose the next game.

We deserve higher than a 6th right now, but if the season were to end, we'd likely get a 6th or a 5th seed.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Gunk wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:24 pm
EM_Puma wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:01 pm Looking at this matrix though, we would still be down about a 6 seed. I don't know that I think we'll be that low unless we lose the next game.

We deserve higher than a 6th right now, but if the season were to end, we'd likely get a 6th or a 5th seed.
Lunardi still has us as a #6, which say he cares nothing of the NCAA NET rankings, because a #9 NET has absolutely no correlation to a 6 seed, which is saying BYU should be ranked about #21 to #24, and that doesn't seem applicable.

The one bracket research matrix is taking the seeding of "all" the known applicable seeding matrices and averaging them, but I don't believe the selection committee with use other group's seeding matrices, at least I hope not. It seems that Lunardi believed in us when we didn't, but he's not shying away from going any further.

Based on the this morning's numbers:
Primary sorting tool:
NET 9 (+1)

Predictive:
KenPom 11 (+2)
ESPN BPI 14 (E)
Sagarin 16 (+1)

Results-based:
ESPN SOR 23 (+1)
KPI 30 (-2)

SOS:
NCAA 36 (-2)
Sagarin 78 (E)
KenPom 71 (E)
ESPN BPI 75 (+1)

BYU averages in the Primary sorting/Predictive rankings to be 3.125. Now, how you get a 6 seeding out of that means you are putting a lot of personal bias into your equation. I'd be really happy with a 4 and based on the numbers, I don't think I'm wearing blue goggles. 8) (Ignore that guy there, it's not me)
Last edited by EM_Puma on Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

I'll take a 6 seed any day. I like how the 6 v 11 seed goes in the tournament bracket. Looks like one of the easier routes to the sweet 16. The 5 v12 seed goes to a #1 seed but a 6 seed eventually hoes to a #2 seed.

I think this team has a legit shot to the sweet 16, but if by some chance they make it to the elite 8 I would be incredibly impressed. And let's face it, this is already a very impressive season.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

TulaneVandyRiceCoug wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:51 am I'll take a 6 seed any day. I like how the 6 v 11 seed goes in the tournament bracket. Looks like one of the easier routes to the sweet 16. The 5 v12 seed goes to a #1 seed but a 6 seed eventually hoes to a #2 seed.

I think this team has a legit shot to the sweet 16, but if by some chance they make it to the elite 8 I would be incredibly impressed. And let's face it, this is already a very impressive season.
Here are Lunardi's projected 11 seeds we'd play. None of which thrill me as an opponent. There are 5 11 and 12-seeds because of the projected play-in games.
USC
Rutgers
Cincinnati
Stanford
E Tennessee St

Here are the 12 seeds that I like a lot better (I wouldn't mind playing #1 in the 2nd round if it were SDSU)
Liberty
Yale
UCLA
Wichita St
Utah St

Realistically now, I'd be anxious to play any #1 seed, but seeing as we've played 3 of them and had 4 games total and are 1-3 with all 3 losses minus Childs, I'm not so intimidated.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

Pac 12 teams seem very beatable. UCLA is playing very well right now however.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

EM_Puma wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:07 am
TulaneVandyRiceCoug wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:51 am I'll take a 6 seed any day. I like how the 6 v 11 seed goes in the tournament bracket. Looks like one of the easier routes to the sweet 16. The 5 v12 seed goes to a #1 seed but a 6 seed eventually hoes to a #2 seed.

Here are Lunardi's projected 11 seeds we'd play. None of which thrill me as an opponent. There are 5 11 and 12-seeds because of the projected play-in games.
USC
Rutgers
Cincinnati
Stanford
E Tennessee St

Here are the 12 seeds that I like a lot better (I wouldn't mind playing #1 in the 2nd round if it were SDSU)
Liberty
Yale
UCLA
Wichita St
Utah St

Realistically now, I'd be anxious to play any #1 seed, but seeing as we've played 3 of them and had 4 games total and are 1-3 with all 3 losses minus Childs, I'm not so intimidated.
If BYU is a 5 seed, we would play a 4 seed in Round 2. We wouldn't play a #1 seed until the Sweet 16. However, we would only play SDSU if they grab the 1-seed in the West Region ahead of Gonzaga...only the West and Midwest Regionals have Thursday-Saturday schedules....and I don't see Kansas falling off the 1-seed line (who would land the Midwest Regional).

So, the likely BYU v. 4-seed Round 2 matchups include the Big Ten logjam (Michigan St, Penn St., Wisconsin, Iowa, Ohio State, Michigan) and Oregon, Colorado, Arizona, Creighton, and Villanova.

I'd probably *prefer* the Round 2 BYU-SDSU matchup over most of those potential 4-seed teams....but we will need some sharp shooting regardless to advance passed Round 2.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Q1 record now 4-4. SM moved up to 29.