Tourney Watch 2020

BYU Cougars on the court.
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Tourney Watch 2020

Post by EM_Puma »

At the most, we have 3 games left before March Madness begins. We're being projected as a 6 seed this morning by Lunardi. I like a 6. I'd like a 5 better, but I wonder where we will land. It is most probable that we'll win one game in the WCC and then lose to Gonzaga. Yes, now we know we can beat them, but so do they, so I'm being practical. Where does 2 more wins get us and if a miracle happens and we beat the Zags again, where does 3 more wins gets us.

I sure hope the team's staying focused on Pepperdine, because all of this is of no importance if we let them take us down. Such a loss could still cost us the 2nd seed and tumble us a few spots, maybe as far back to a 10 seed, depending on how we end the WCC tournament.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

I'd probably rather have a 6 seed than a 5 seed.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

EM_Puma wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:13 am At the most, we have 3 games left before March Madness begins. We're being projected as a 6 seed this morning by Lunardi. I like a 6. I'd like a 5 better, but I wonder where we will land. It is most probable that we'll win one game in the WCC and then lose to Gonzaga. Yes, now we know we can beat them, but so do they, so I'm being practical. Where does 2 more wins get us and if a miracle happens and we beat the Zags again, where does 3 more wins gets us.

I sure hope the team's staying focused on Pepperdine, because all of this is of no importance if we let them take us down. Such a loss could still cost us the 2nd seed and tumble us a few spots, maybe as far back to a 10 seed, depending on how we end the WCC tournament.
There is always the seed we deserve and the seed we get. Because we don't play on Sundays, we often in end up with lower seedings.

Here's my take:
1) We're pretty much a lock. Worst case scenario is we lose our next two games. I think we still make it in, but if we lose our next two games we slide all the way down to a 10 or 12.
2) If...if, we win out, we go as high as a 4 seed, but that will depend a bit on who we play in the WCC tourney. We would have to beat SMC and GU, which would basically give us two more Quad 1 wins (btw, I think if SMC wins their next game our win against them gets bumped up to a Quad 1 win. So, go SMC). Should we beat GU in the WCC finals after beating SMC, our resume will look real good. We'd have beaten both teams 2 out of 3 and be WCC tourney champs. Suddenly, BYU looks to be the best team in the WCC.
3) We beat Pepperdine and lose to SMC or another team in the WCC tournament, I think we get an 8 seed.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

AP - #17
Coaches - #18
BPI - #18
NET - #14
RPI - #16
KenPom - #16
ESPN Seed - 5.4
ESPN Tournament Sweet 16 - 36.7%

Lookin pretty good! If BYU wins the conferency tourney I will dye my hair blue!

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

byufan4ever wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:57 pm Lookin pretty good! If BYU wins the conferency tourney I will dye my hair blue!
Me too! :angry:

Well...actually, I think if I dyed the few hairs left on my head any color whatsoever, no one would notice, so it's not much to say, but dang it, I'll do it anyhow. Get out the magnifying glass. ;)

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

For me, the most important thing is for BYU to beat Pepperdine this week. That will change us from a “should be in” status to a “lock” on espn, it will keep us ranked in the top twenty for another week, and we lock up conference 2nd place outright. I actually think that a win against Pepperdine will lock up a 7 seed or higher in the NCAA tournament.

Additional notes if we beat Pepperdine: Making it to the finals will lock up a 6 seed or higher. Winning the conference tournament will get us a 4 seed in my opinion.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Wow! Impressive to see BYU ranked #10 in NCAA NET rankings

https://kslsports.com/429570/byu-basket ... ournament/

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I’m surprised we moved that much. Now we will see our new ranking.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

UCLA going on a run, Gonzaga beating SMC, and us beating Pepperdine on the road are all working in our favor.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

We're #11 in Kenpom

https://kenpom.com/