BYU Cougars on the court.
YNot
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU vs San Diego

Post by YNot »

byufan4ever wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:51 am
Gunk wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:11 am Phew...

Way too close. I don't know if San Diego just matches up better against us or what, but that was close.

Credit to SD for taking us out of our three point game. They really got out on the perimeter.

Baxter looked a bit better out there, but he needs to get the ball. No one is giving him the ball. I'd like to see him get some touches otherwise teams will learn they can ditch him. Colby Lee brings more offensively than Baxter does right now.
SD coach said before the game that he was not going to let us shoot the 3. That means that the inside game should have opened up. Mark Durrant predicted that Childs would have 30 points. Getting in fould trouble hurt.

I also noticed that the team almost seems to be intentionally not passing the ball to Baxter. They don't have confidence in his scoring. Heck, Baxter doesn't have confidence in his own scoring. Watch his body language. He's not posting up begging for the ball. When he does get it it's a quick pass to someone else. No attempt to dribble or score for himself. I understand that Baxter was the one begging to play this season but I wish he had just sat it out. He's ok definsively but a huge liability on offense. I also wish the new football redshirt rules applied to basketball, but they do not. One game burns the redshirt.
Baxter is fantastic at the pick and roll. He could have had 5+ easy dunks against San Diego, if the guards were looking for him. Drove me crazy and would have given the offense a huge lift when we needed it.

May be Baxter and his teammates lack confidence in his offense right now...? Hopefully they're working on it and watching the game film, because Baxter could have 10+ points per game this week just on pick-and-roll dunks. And, when the defense adjusts to take away the roll, we will have openings on the perimeter.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

He needs time in practice on making it work.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

YNot wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:02 am

Way too close. I don't know if San Diego just matches up better against us or what, but that was close.

Credit to SD for taking us out of our three point game. They really got out on the perimeter.

Baxter looked a bit better out there, but he needs to get the ball. No one is giving him the ball. I'd like to see him get some touches otherwise teams will learn they can ditch him. Colby Lee brings more offensively than Baxter does right now.
SD coach said before the game that he was not going to let us shoot the 3. That means that the inside game should have opened up. Mark Durrant predicted that Childs would have 30 points. Getting in fould trouble hurt.

I also noticed that the team almost seems to be intentionally not passing the ball to Baxter. They don't have confidence in his scoring. Heck, Baxter doesn't have confidence in his own scoring. Watch his body language. He's not posting up begging for the ball. When he does get it it's a quick pass to someone else. No attempt to dribble or score for himself. I understand that Baxter was the one begging to play this season but I wish he had just sat it out. He's ok definsively but a huge liability on offense. I also wish the new football redshirt rules applied to basketball, but they do not. One game burns the redshirt.
Baxter is fantastic at the pick and roll. He could have had 5+ easy dunks against San Diego, if the guards were looking for him. Drove me crazy and would have given the offense a huge lift when we needed it.

May be Baxter and his teammates lack confidence in his offense right now...? Hopefully they're working on it and watching the game film, because Baxter could have 10+ points per game this week just on pick-and-roll dunks. And, when the defense adjusts to take away the roll, we will have openings on the perimeter.
Eh, I'm not sold on any screens we set let alone pick and rolls. That's the one area that we still suck at even with a new coach. Maybe you're right on this one, but I haven't seen a pick that I've liked in years.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

byufan4ever wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:53 am
YNot wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:02 am

Eh, I'm not sold on any screens we set let alone pick and rolls. That's the one area that we still suck at even with a new coach. Maybe you're right on this one, but I haven't seen a pick that I've liked in years.
Wasn't our winning bucket in the game off a pick and roll, alley ooop from TJ to Childs?

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

BoiseBYU wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:49 pm
Wasn't our winning bucket in the game off a pick and roll, alley ooop from TJ to Childs?
I just rewatched that play. Yoeli definitely did not set a screen. He flashed to the top of the key as if he was going to but then he just cut hard to the basket and in the process lost his man and TJ threw him the alley oop. No pick and roll there.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

I think the pick and roll has a way to go, but it certainly is better under Pope than Rose. In general, Pope seems to have the team cutting to basket and running back doors more than Rose. I like it.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Gunk wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:13 pm I think the pick and roll has a way to go, but it certainly is better under Pope than Rose. In general, Pope seems to have the team cutting to basket and running back doors more than Rose. I like it.
This NEEDS to be a staple of BYU offense. Like AFA of old.