GU game

BYU Cougars on the court.
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: GU game

Post by EM_Puma »

On TJ Haw's foul before halftime on Petrusev that was reviwed for a flagrant 1 or 2 foul, someone over on Cougarboard posted a series of plays between Haw's and Petrusev and it begins to paint a picture of TJ's actions. It still doesn't validate them. It was a foul, but you begin to understand what he was doing and that he hadn't totally lost his marbles.

If we play them again in the championship, it's going to be quite the physical battle. Where's a Kaufusi when you need them. ;)

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

EM_Puma wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:51 am Gonzaga was ranked #1 that day in Feb 2017 when we ended their perfect season with a win in Spokane 79-71, and had we not beaten them Saturday, they probably again would have been #1(Kansas might have still jumped them, BUT WE'LL NEVER KNOW WILL WE?) as Baylor had fallen as the #1 ranked team.
You have to worry about someone when they begin to quote themselves... :)

But, at the same time, the Zags have to love that at least when we beat them this time, we were a ranked team. Losing to a ranked team in MBB doesn't seem to cause teams to slide much. I'm still trying to understand the early polls that I have seen though where Ohio State beat Maryland, but in each one I've seen so far, Maryland has moved up. Hmmm. :roll:

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

Harding shortly after got called for a foul on a similar play. It was the game plan to defend the pick and roll.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Those worried about next season already need to calm the hell down.

Look at Wyatt Lowell, and you won't worry as much about replacing Yoeli, especially with Baxter (hopefully) being 100% healthy alongside him.

Look at the young guards who will get the grow the same way we've seen TJ Haws grow since last season.

Look at how Pope recruited players to come in on short notice last offseason with barely any support staff hired yet, and think about how well he'll be able to recruit with these results to back up the pitch and a full support staff to help him with the load.

I think next year is a just a reload year, not a rebuild year, with 2022 having potential for a special season.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

scott715 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:25 am Harding shortly after got called for a foul on a similar play. It was the game plan to defend the pick and roll.
There is an interesting exchange on Twitter between Trent Plaisted and some other former pro. Basically, Trent says what TJ did was at most a common foul, and that what TJ did is pretty much standard operating procedure. Now, TJ may have gotten a bit handsy with it, but he was hardly bringing a shiv to a basketball game.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

snoscythe wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:51 am Those worried about next season already need to calm the hell down.

Look at Wyatt Lowell, and you won't worry as much about replacing Yoeli, especially with Baxter (hopefully) being 100% healthy alongside him.

Look at the young guards who will get the grow the same way we've seen TJ Haws grow since last season.

Look at how Pope recruited players to come in on short notice last offseason with barely any support staff hired yet, and think about how well he'll be able to recruit with these results to back up the pitch and a full support staff to help him with the load.

I think next year is a just a reload year, not a rebuild year, with 2022 having potential for a special season.
All true. I wasn't anticipating too much this year. Season has far exceeded expectations.

I'm hoping Pope can create a respectable season next year (at least make it to the dance).

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

snoscythe wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:51 am Those worried about next season already need to calm the hell down.

I agree.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

I don't think we're at the level of a reload to our current level unless Mark Pope pulls so more magic out of his hat. We'll be a very, very good team, but this was one of those special years when we actually have 3 individuals who can star for each game (Childs, Haws and Toolson). We've had games too where the spotlight has shown on Barcello and Lee as the high scorers.

Next season returning are Barcello, Baxter, Harding, Harward, Knell, Lee, Lowell, Nield, Pearson, and Wade, if he ever plays. He's added Gideon George, and Spencer Johnson, both juco transfers. I don't know if I'm missing anyone else. I believe 3-star Hunter Erickson will be back from his mission, but I heard that 2020 commit Richie Saunders will go on a mission first, so I don't know where the rest of the team is going to come from. Usually there are 15-16 players, of course, not all scholarship players, as there are only 13 scholarships allowed and there are 13 individuals named here. If Wade cannot play, then there is a scholarship that maybe can be filled via the transfer portal.

That sounds like the good teams BYU usually has to come in 3rd in the conference, and not probably runner-up to the Zags. Does someone see something I don't?

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

The cupboard looked like it was going to be bare going into this season until Pope came along. I think Pope will find a way to reload with existing in new talent. I can’t guarantee a top 25 finish, but I don’t see it as strictly a rebuilding year next year either.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »