BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Zag Fans

Post by BoiseBYU »

byufan4ever wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:27 pm
snoscythe wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:01 pm
byufan4ever wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:25 am I know they took issue with TJ's contact with a GU player in the first half where he went down like being shot despite being twice his size. The ESPN commentators said it was a "forearm shiver" and thought it was a borderline flagrant 2. While there was definitely contact there was zero ill intent and the GU player 100% could have stayed on his feet if he had wanted to.
I think the refs took into account that this was the big guy's third flop of the first half in leaving it as a common foul.
Actually it didn't end up being any foul at all I believe. No foul was initially called and then they reviewed it to see if it was flagrant. When they determined it wasn't flagrant they said they couldn't upgrade a no-call to a common foul so they left it at no foul. But yes, it should have been just a common foul. I agree with that.
To boot: had they called the foul, that would have negated the 3 point shot made by the Zags player....so Zags came out alright

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Zag Fans

Post by nuk13 »

I read this in the Spokesman Review but nowhere else as of yet. Remember all the games where some of us have complained about the refs. BYU won fair and square. We are now ranked at 14.

I just watched the highlights and reran it several times. It appears that Haws hit Petrusev in the back but it wasn't a forearm shiver as I've heard. It looked like he had open hands and it was a shove rather than a punch. I wonder what Coach Few has to say, let alone Petrusev. It was a foul but Haws should have been able to continue playing. I don't think it had a bearing on the game as Petrusev continued playing. I wonder how many other fowls were not called in this and other games. We usually only see the fowls on our guys not our guys fowling the other team.