WCC MBB All-Conference Team

BYU Cougars on the court.
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

WCC MBB All-Conference Team

Post by EM_Puma »

Congrats to Yoeli, Haws and Toolson (double for Toolson)

Very surprised to see Pacific's Damon Stoudamire picked as COY over Mark Pope. I would have accepted Mark Few, but I don't see that what Stoudamire did surpassed what Pope achieved. I understand Pacific was projected only to be ranked 8th in the league and they finished tied with SMC for 3rd. He took a 14-18 (4-12) team to 23-9 (11-5). Yes, I agree that he should have been in contention, but Pope pulled together, in his FIRST year, a team slated for their usual 3rd finish to a 2nd place and #15 national ranking. If anything, name them co-COY, but Stoudamire did this in his 4th season. I guess that's my biggest qualifier is the one accomplished these great tasks in only one year by bringing Yoeli back after he left, bringing in Toolson and Barcello. I guess I'd have to look into the mechanics of what transformed Pacific from a 2nd to the last team the previous year to 3rd best this year.

WCC-MBB-2019-20 All Conference.png

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: WCC MBB All-Conference Team

Post by ABYUFAN »

I don't think that Pope gets enough credit for bringing Childs back and jettisoning Emery. And then his development of Nixon and Seljaas and Lee, all three are night and day better than last year. That said, what Few did this year was phenomenal considering the talent that he lost, the injuries they suffered AND STILL getting a number one seed in the Tourney. I would have voted few First, Pope a close second, and then Few and Pope again, and then probably Few again and then Pope AND THEN Stoudamire.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

Also, Yoeli IS the best player in the conference. I hope SMC crashes and burns in the conference tourney (even though it would be better for our SOS to play them) and that we beat Gonzaga by double digits again in the final.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

Also how does Toolson get "Newcomer of the year?" He was awesome, but he's got three years of WCC stats now, and after his third year of games he gets "newcomer of the Year" At best he can qualify as "returner of the year" but her certainly isn't in any way "new" to the WCC this year.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

Petrusev might be best foreigner of the year, but he certainly is not player of the year.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Yeoli got snubbed.

Pope kinda got snubbed too, but I can live with Stoudamire getting it. BTW, Pacific will be tough. Stoudamire will have that team contending.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

BoiseBYU wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:16 pm Petrusev might be best foreigner of the year, but he certainly is not player of the year.
Guy is overrated

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

ABYUFAN wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:55 pm I don't think that Pope gets enough credit for bringing Childs back and jettisoning Emery. And then his development of Nixon and Seljaas and Lee, all three are night and day better than last year. That said, what Few did this year was phenomenal considering the talent that he lost, the injuries they suffered AND STILL getting a number one seed in the Tourney. I would have voted few First, Pope a close second, and then Few and Pope again, and then probably Few again and then Pope AND THEN Stoudamire.
I don't know if I would have selected Few over Pope, but I would have understood. Stoudamire did a great job, but as noted, it was in his fourth season.

Yes, Pope inherited the nucleus of his team, but without bringing back Yoeli and Toolson, and adding Barcello to replace Emery, we're not anywhere near where we are right now. And an emphatic YES, we finally saw the night and day development of our big men and our shooting (except foul shooting, which is Pope's only non-A mark of the season (and for not managing better the loss at USF--but that's only one game that I believe was truly mismanaged)).

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

Interesting that Few and Pope made the 10 but not Stoudamire.