BYU vs SMC

BYU Cougars on the court.
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

BYU vs SMC

Post by EM_Puma »

At least Pepperdine took them to 2OT, but what a game by Ford with 42, but it wasn't the best, because Pepperdine's Ross goes off for 43. Two players accounting for 85 points. Incredible.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: BYU vs SMC

Post by frdbtr »

Well, it isn't going to be easy but BYU needs to beat SMC and make it to the WCC tourney finals. This winning streak needs to make it all the way to the NCAA tourney if we want to win a game or 2 there. This is the first BYU team since 2010 that has an opportunity to win some games in the tourney.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Yes, and it starts with our old nemesis SMC. To me they've been like UNLV in the old days of the MWC and always a challenge no matter what kind of a record they had. Always that problem matchup.

I was thinking this weekend how I'll never get that Deladova shot out of my mind. It scarred me for life in sports, but it seems right that the championship game needs to go through them.

USF looked formidable and it will take the Zags playing picture perfect to put them down.

I guess we'll see what having this much time off to recuperate has done for the Cougars or if it has only caused them to rust. If Dalton is ready to go, I'll feel better, but listing to the two announcers on the Pepperdine vs SMC game, SMC is also awaiting a key player they lost in December that should be available very soon. I didn't catch the name.

They lost starter Matthais Tass a 6'10" sophomore F/C in December from a torn ACL and was expected at that point to be out for the season. I don't believe Tass could have recovered from a torn ACL in 2 1/2 months.

Kristers Zoriks hasn't been out since December, but must have some injury hampering him looking at his stats from the season, he didn't play last night in a 2OT game indicating he is injured, but his stats don't pop out too much. He's averaged 12 minutes a game @4pts/game. He does shoot 56.7% on 3 pts making 17 of 30 attempts. Maybe it's him.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Waves almost pulled it off. But last night's game really showcased SMC is a one-pony show. Slow Ford down and BYU wins.

Ford is a unique talent, so slowing him down will be tough, but it's possible. Unlike the Waves, though, we can throw multiple people at him.

Second key for us will be our frontcourt. SMC doesn't have our size. Ball needs to go into the paint every possession.

Will be a fun game Monday. One game at a time. BYU can b at SMC.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
1967cougar
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by 1967cougar »

If we win, it will be because we were well rested. If we lose, it will be because we have rested too long and we will have rusted.

Whatever happens in the game, this is what I foresee reading on Tuesday morning here on the Corner.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

It's the truth.

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

I don’t think Gonzaga is going to have a problem beating USF.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Jarhead wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:22 pm I don’t think Gonzaga is going to have a problem beating USF.
Doubt it, but l hope USF's bigs can at least wear Gonzaga out a bit.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

1967cougar wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:58 pm If we win, it will be because we were well rested. If we lose, it will be because we have rested too long and we will have rusted.

Whatever happens in the game, this is what I foresee reading on Tuesday morning here on the Corner.
So obviously, we were too well rested. ;) Ugly game. I think we had two field goals in the last 12 minutes? On to the Tournament and here’s to turning some heads.....

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Worst game of the season. Unforced TOs. Very sloppy. Too much flopping. Almost seemed like our guys hadn't picked up a basketball in the last 9 days...call this a knee jerk reaction but I went from dreaming of an Elite 8 appearance to praying we can make it to the round of 32. Let's hope this lights a fire in their bellies and they come out ready to fight in March Madness.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins