How to beat BYU

BYU Cougars on the court.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

How to beat BYU

Post by SpiffCoug »

Play uber-physical w/ Yeoli. Feel free to foul him on every touch. Refs won't call it every time. When you are called for it, he's 50/50 from the FT line. And all those misses at the line will cause him to miss more shots in close.

Make BYU beat with you with the dribble. But they can't. Disrupt passing lanes. Hands up.

Challenge every entry pass. Don't cheat on the double-team and come too early. Wait for Yeoli to dribble to the lane, then challenge his dribble, but be quick to limit any outlet pass.

Rinse and repeat.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Re: How to beat BYU

Post by byufan4ever »

Eh, I don't know. I didn't watch it thinking he was fouled every time. Although there were a lot of bad calls both ways.

Listening to Mark Durrant on BYUSN he said that what SMC did was wait until Yeoli put the ball on the floor and then they doubled him and they kept the double coming from different locations. He also said that it appeared that BYU was determined to win by going through Yeoli and that they did not change their game plan despite his TOs and missed shots and yes, maybe despite the no calls.

Why did we go away from our 3 point shooting? Why did TJ and Toolson not hit a single shot in the 2nd half? We beat ourselves and gulp, got out-coached. If we don't pick ourselves up mentally I think we are one and done. However, if Pope can correct these mistakes and get this team in a good place mentally I think we can still make a run.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

I think that you should also mention that the other team needs to make sure that Kolby Lee is sick and cannot play. having a legitimate second low post player in that game changes the dynamic.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

byufan4ever wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:14 am Eh, I don't know. I didn't watch it thinking he was fouled every time. Although there were a lot of bad calls both ways.

Listening to Mark Durrant on BYUSN he said that what SMC did was wait until Yeoli put the ball on the floor and then they doubled him and they kept the double coming from different locations. He also said that it appeared that BYU was determined to win by going through Yeoli and that they did not change their game plan despite his TOs and missed shots and yes, maybe despite the no calls.

Why did we go away from our 3 point shooting? Why did TJ and Toolson not hit a single shot in the 2nd half? We beat ourselves and gulp, got out-coached. If we don't pick ourselves up mentally I think we are one and done. However, if Pope can correct these mistakes and get this team in a good place mentally I think we can still make a run.
I agree Yeoli wasn't fouled every time, but I thought it was clear he didn't get some obvious calls. I think the fouls he did suffer affected the rest of his game. He shot more poorly the more poorly he shot from the FT line. As evidenced by his shooting. Before Yoeli missed his first two FTs, he was 3-5 from the floor. He finished 5 of 15. In fact, if you count all his shots, after starting 3-5 of he finished 10 of 25.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

SpiffCoug wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:07 pm
byufan4ever wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:14 am Eh, I don't know. I didn't watch it thinking he was fouled every time. Although there were a lot of bad calls both ways.

I agree Yeoli wasn't fouled every time, but I thought it was clear he didn't get some obvious calls. I think the fouls he did suffer affected the rest of his game. He shot more poorly the more poorly he shot from the FT line. As evidenced by his shooting. Before Yoeli missed his first two FTs, he was 3-5 from the floor. He finished 5 of 15. In fact, if you count all his shots, after starting 3-5 of he finished 10 of 25.
Still doesn't explain why we kept going with a strategy that wasn't working.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Haws went 2/14. He shoots at his normal clip and we win that game.

The SMC game did expose a weakness on this team and it's been a long standing issue with BYU teams: a dominant guard that can take people off the dribble.

Pepperdine, SMC, Pacific, and USF all have guards that can create space and score off the dribble. Haws is an exceptional player, but he gets pushed around and struggles against teams that play him physically. SMC exposed that weakness.

As long as we are talking about areas of improvement, Toolson has got to take better care of the ball. He telegraphs his passes so much. I think if he were a bit more decisive or quicker to pass that it would fix his TO issue. He always seems to hesitate on making a pass...it's like in slow motion.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel