Post by scott715 »

Against Ione I think.

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Bracketology

Post by EM_Puma »

As KYCoug says, "just keep winning" and all will take care of itself. We can make it to conference tournament with only 1 loss and losing to Gonzaga I don't believe will hurt us much. It did knock us out of receiving any votes, even though we swept SMC and USF.

jadesroom
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by jadesroom »

EM_Puma wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:40 pm
KYCoug wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:28 pm I think more than anything if we had a consistent history of winning those games and going into the second week we would not keep getting stuck there.

Just keep winning!
Go Cougs
KYCOUG
Louisville, KY
I know I can look this up, but didn't we win our last play-in game? I thought that's the one we came from 30 something down.
As I recall BYU was up by 17 at halftime in its last play in game--in the "We score points but don't play a lick of defense" era. The opponent came back and won the game tying the record for the largest comeback in NCAA history that BYU had set a year or so prior against Iona. I don't remember who beat BYU. I try not to remember the painful moments; and come to think of it, that was BYU's last NCAA appearance (darn Covid).

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

hawkwing wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:00 am The idea of a play-in game for a 12 seed game makes sense if you think of the conference auto-bids. If some not very good team ends up winning their conference tournament they should get ranked as a 16 seed but they did win their conference so they should be in the tournament, otherwise you have the same situation as the football farcical playoffs where only teams from the SEC, ACC, and Big 10 are invited.
I agree I like have the conference champions. But IMO all at-large bids and all seeding should be done by the NET ranking. Humans have too much bias.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

jadesroom wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:09 pm
EM_Puma wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:40 pm
KYCoug wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:28 pm I think more than anything if we had a consistent history of winning those games and going into the second week we would not keep getting stuck there.

Just keep winning!
Go Cougs
KYCOUG
Louisville, KY
I know I can look this up, but didn't we win our last play-in game? I thought that's the one we came from 30 something down.
As I recall BYU was up by 17 at halftime in its last play in game--in the "We score points but don't play a lick of defense" era. The opponent came back and won the game tying the record for the largest comeback in NCAA history that BYU had set a year or so prior against Iona. I don't remember who beat BYU. I try not to remember the painful moments; and come to think of it, that was BYU's last NCAA appearance (darn Covid).
It was Mississippi and it was a brutal loss.

GAKunkel
Recruit

Post by GAKunkel »

We don't have the best history when it comes to winning games in the dance. I'll take what we can get.

I am fine with the play-in games. Allows more teams a shot.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

hawkwing wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:00 am The idea of a play-in game for a 12 seed game makes sense if you think of the conference auto-bids. If some not very good team ends up winning their conference tournament they should get ranked as a 16 seed but they did win their conference so they should be in the tournament, otherwise you have the same situation as the football farcical playoffs where only teams from the SEC, ACC, and Big 10 are invited.
Correction, Alabama, Ohio St, Clemson, and an at large bid.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story ... acketology

Now Lunardi has us as a #10 seed playing UCon. I like that better than the play-in game.