Show recommendations

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Show recommendations

Post by Cougarfan87 »

kiwibacon wrote:
Sammich wrote:I haven't heard of Sit Down Shut Up. I did give Burn Notice a chance though and didn't make it through an episode. Maybe time to give it another try.
Gotta start from the beginning.

Another show that I just started that has not been mentioned is White Collar. It appears it may have some promise.

I just started watching it as well. Is it on USA? USA knocks it out of the park when it comes to evening drama/comedy/action shows. Characters welcome. No I do not work for USA.

TNT showed some promise with Raising the Bar and Dark Blue, but both quickly fell out of favor with me. Dark Blue, just a little too raunchy for me, and Raising the Bar because it makes it look like the Prosecutors are all evil and only want to win at the expense of justice. That is unlike most prosecutors I have known. I can't remember if The Beast was on TNT or TBS but I liked that show. Patrick Swayze was actually very good in it. Too bad that show couldn't play out--for obvious reasons.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
CougarClaw
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by CougarClaw »

Jericho started out fantastic, but when the fans lobbied it to return they took it in a very strange direction. But I'd recommend the first season. I'd recommend you then stop.

I would HIGHLY recommend Firefly. Unfortunately it's a show about bad guys, but there are just some great character actors and high space adventure ness. Then you can watch the movie and it makes a LOT more sense.

But then, I loved Battlestar Galactica and you didn't, so no guarantees I suppose.

Trying out Fast Forward, not convinced but still watching.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

I have found both Modern Family and The Middle to be pretty entertaining, though neither is a must-watch.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
1967cougar
Junior

Post by 1967cougar »

Back in 1991 I had an ugly confrontation with my cable company and told them to take their service and shove it. I was going to show them! So I bought an antenna and hooked it up and found out I couldn't get reception worth a darn where I lived. That was 18 years ago. I have had Dish for about three years sometime over that interval. But all-in-all my kids have been raised in a TV-free environment.

Now that all but one child is gone, I still won't get cable, Dish, or DirecTV. It's just plain not worth it. So what do I do? I watch M*A*S*H - all 11 years, I've seen them a thousand times and love 'em.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

1967cougar wrote:Back in 1991 I had an ugly confrontation with my cable company and told them to take their service and shove it. I was going to show them! So I bought an antenna and hooked it up and found out I couldn't get reception worth a darn where I lived. That was 18 years ago. I have had Dish for about three years sometime over that interval. But all-in-all my kids have been raised in a TV-free environment.

Now that all but one child is gone, I still won't get cable, Dish, or DirecTV. It's just plain not worth it. So what do I do? I watch M*A*S*H - all 11 years, I've seen them a thousand times and love 'em.
http://www.hulu.com

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

By the way, Friday Night Lights started up yesterday. It is one of the best shows of all time.

BYUROCKS
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BYUROCKS »

I find The Legend of the Seeker enjoyable

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

To quote John Denver, "blow up the TV" and the read a good book: Three Cups of Tea; Mountains Beyond Mountains; A Brief History on Time; The Creators; The Discoverers; A Thread of Grace; Mila 18; Shogun; 1776; Roots; Jesus the Christ (alltime favorite)

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

BYUROCKS wrote:I find The Legend of the Seeker enjoyable
Never heard of it. What channel is it on, and what's it about?

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

BoiseBYU wrote:To quote John Denver, "blow up the TV" and the read a good book: Three Cups of Tea; Mountains Beyond Mountains; A Brief History on Time; The Creators; The Discoverers; A Thread of Grace; Mila 18; Shogun; 1776; Roots; Jesus the Christ (alltime favorite)
You need to start a book recommendation thread. I can agree that Shogun, 1776, and Jesus the Christ are all great books.