Reform the Code

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Reform the Code

Post by snoscythe »

SpiffCoug wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:39 amThose cleared can be retained by the university but in a different capacity and one not related to the Honor Code.
That's one of the dumbest things I've ever read on here.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

snoscythe wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:31 pm
SpiffCoug wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:39 amThose cleared can be retained by the university but in a different capacity and one not related to the Honor Code.
Well except for maybe your comment here. I've been in a company where a division or office was deemed no longer necessary and they retained most of the employees by re-assigning them to other divisions/offices/jobs. The particular work of that office was no longer needed but the employees were still valued.

But no it's more fun to say what you did without thinking.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

byufan4ever wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:43 pm
snoscythe wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:31 pm
Well except for maybe your comment here. I've been in a company where a division or office was deemed no longer necessary and they retained most of the employees by re-assigning them to other divisions/offices/jobs. The particular work of that office was no longer needed but the employees were still valued.

But no it's more fun to say what you did without thinking.
#1 -- Don't mistake a short statement for one made without thinking. I can just as easily assume that you made your final comment without thinking. If you're worried about "name-calling", your post, although longer, is more ad hominem than anything in my terse observation that apparently got your hackles up.

#2 -- Just because someone offers up an example of a company doing something in the past doesn't make it right or smart.

#3 -- What Spiff discussed is a different situation entirely. If there is no longer an enforcement or Honor Code Office and we're eliminating the entire department, I can see that, but that's not what is being talked about here. The situation being proposed here--keeping a department but whitewashing all staff even those cleared, and then going out and re-staffing that department from scratch--is stupidity. To apply your words to this situation, one might observe that "the work of that office is still needed but the [cleared] employees are not valued".

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report- ... e25024490/

#4 -- Let's not forget one little detail here: the employee that was misbehaving was not even an employee in the Honor Code Office. It was an employee in a completely separate department. Maybe I'm missing something, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that the HCO knew that the police officer was illegally accessing law enforcement databases for non-law-enforcement uses. That makes the suggestion of whitewashing the HCO even dumber--whitewash a department for the acts of an employee in a completely different department? A suggestion of whitewashing the police department would be a dumb suggestion as well, but less dumb than suggesting we whitewash an entirely separate department for police misbehavior.

You can hold your opinion based on your experiences, and I'll stick to mine based on my experiences.

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

I think the HCO needs a top to bottom evaluation, including what to include in the Code and how to enforce violations. In my perfect world I’d get the Bishops out of yanking ecclesiastical endorsements and let them focus exclusively on the student’s moral worthiness and, where needed, helping that student repent and come closer to Christ. I’d get rid of most clothing and hair rules. Teach the students modesty and respect and let them govern themselves.Rules like hair can’t be over a certain length perversely teaches the student they are not to be trusted in such matters and don’t allow them to choose wisely. I think BYU is scared what the students would do. I think we can trust them to dress well. Disconnect the cops from the HCO except for matters of violence. Expel for cheating and violence but for others work with the student. Standardize all of this between the schools. Attack the culture of snitchery (is that a word?). Build a culture of teaching correct principles. This is far too brief and I’m sure I’ve left lots out. But that’d be my start.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

I like a lot of what Boise says above, but I'd keep ecclesiastical endorsements, but only have students lose them for refusing to repent, not for sinning.

I'm okay with kids who make mistakes and do their best to change for the better. I'm not okay with going to BYU while living in open rebellion and defiance to God and his teachings.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

My body has this nasty habit of growing hair. To ensure I didn't come across as a hippie and someone think that I might be doing something bad, the church/BYU required I shave. It's a rule based solely on the outer appearance of righteousness. It's a rule designed to make people look a certain way, to comply with a governing body's prejudice of how a "righteous" person should look. It's essentially praying on a street corner to be seen. It's hypocritical.

The HC is the modern-day version of the mosaic law. It produces and encourages a culture of stoning and judgement, not charity and mercy.

Read the comments on Twitter and Instagram around this movement. It's disgusting. It's stone throwing. A woman engages in sex (clear violation of the HC), gets pregnant, and leaves the school because she doesn't want to have to go through the shame and public damnation of the HC. That last part is what is messed up with the HC and the LDS culture. No forgiveness. No support. She's pregnant from a BYU basketball player and feels her only way out is to abandon her education. Meanwhile, he goes scot free. We're supposed to be better than this.

Makes me sick and quite honestly question my affiliation with the church.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Davies was suspended for a year, no?

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

Mars wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:57 pm I like a lot of what Boise says above, but I'd keep ecclesiastical endorsements, but only have students lose them for refusing to repent, not for sinning.

I'm okay with kids who make mistakes and do their best to change for the better. I'm not okay with going to BYU while living in open rebellion and defiance to God and his teachings.
I share your concern. I am not supportive of the openly rebellious either. I
That said, I worry that involving the Bishop in admissions matters will simply deter persons from talking to the Bishop in the first instance.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Knew plenty of people that made mistakes while at BYU and didn't talk to their bishops about them because they didn't want to risk losing their endorsement. I knew a lot of students that would confess things to their home bishops while home for the summer instead of their BYU bishops for this same reason.

I've had several discussions with couples now that I am older about how they were a bit "handsy" while dating but didn't go to their bishops despite the guilt because they didn't want to risk losing their endorsement or getting married.

It's a fear based process. Not a love based process.

I agree, students that have no intention of comporting themselves according to the commandments shouldn't be at BYU, but what we have now is not good.

Make the HC the same as the temple recommend standards and get bishops out of the endorsement game.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

And get Bishops out of the Temple recommend business too?

I mean, I know couples that have lied about about keeping the law of chastity, word of wisdom, sustaining the prophet, because they were afraid of losing their recommends and not being able to get married in the temple.