Time for a new offensive coordinator

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Time for a new offensive coordinator

Post by Gunk »

Anae is solid, not great. To get to the big stage I think it'll take a new offensive coordinator. BYU is good. We could finish with a respectable 10 win season still, but to get to a BCS bowl I think a shake up is in order. What we have right now isn't working as far as getting to a BCS bowl.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
imuakahuku
All-American

Re: Time for a new offensive coordinator

Post by imuakahuku »

And what do you think about a D that has started to make every QB they play look like the Heisman front runner?

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

BYU Christmas list

1. Improved Defense
2. Smarter Offense (I'm not bagging on Anae, just think that there is room for improvement in terms of decisions)

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

declocoug wrote:BYU Christmas list

1. Improved Defense
2. Smarter Offense (I'm not bagging on Anae, just think that there is room for improvement in terms of decisions)
Defense is getting there. There is marked improvement in the defense this year. Whereas the decision making of the offense hasn't gotten better.

Anae has been at the helm a number of seasons now with limited improvement. This is Hill's first real season guiding the defense.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Gunk wrote:

1. Improved Defense
Defense is getting there. There is marked improvement in the defense this year. Whereas the decision making of the offense hasn't gotten better.

Anae has been at the helm a number of seasons now with limited improvement. This is Hill's first real season guiding the defense.
Agree completely about the defense. But after tonight I don't know if I would call our defense "markedly improved". I think we all bought into hype, letting a TCU team score 38+ is embarrassing. I'd say it made a baby step this year.

Offense, I can't tell if it's Anae, or the QB deciding to throw 30 yarders instead of 6 for the first down. Probably a little of both.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

declocoug wrote:
Gunk wrote:

1. Improved Defense

Agree completely about the defense. But after tonight I don't know if I would call our defense "markedly improved". I think we all bought into hype, letting a TCU team score 38+ is embarrassing. I'd say it made a baby step this year.

Offense, I can't tell if it's Anae, or the QB deciding to throw 30 yarders instead of 6 for the first down. Probably a little of both.
Either way, blame falls on Anae because he relinquishes a significant portion of the play calling to college kids. He's supposed to be the expert.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Hard to argue with that Gunk.

mcgregor
Freshman
Prediction Group: Cougar Law

Post by mcgregor »

Gunk wrote:Anae is solid, not great. To get to the big stage I think it'll take a new offensive coordinator. BYU is good. We could finish with a respectable 10 win season still, but to get to a BCS bowl I think a shake up is in order. What we have right now isn't working as far as getting to a BCS bowl.
I agree with every jot and tittle.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Alright, let's say Anae "moves on". What kind of offensive coord. would suit BYU the best? What style of play is going to play to BYU's strengths and minimize weaknesses?

I don't really have any answers, just would like to know how the system could be improved?

mcgregor
Freshman
Prediction Group: Cougar Law

Post by mcgregor »

declocoug wrote:Alright, let's say Anae "moves on". What kind of offensive coord. would suit BYU the best? What style of play is going to play to BYU's strengths and minimize weaknesses?

I don't really have any answers, just would like to know how the system could be improved?
Anae is 90% great. But he's tapped out. He sometimes get bogged down in games, and fails to see the big picture. We hoped that would change by placing him in the booth. It hasn't.

Someone replacing him would be a near-clone, but someone that made better in-game decisions, and was able to dissect the defense a little better.