We're 1-2 now

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

We're 1-2 now

Post by Mars »

If BYU wins out, we finish the season 3-2. That's better than last year, and roughly equal to 2006 and 2007.

If BYU loses to Utah and in our bowl game, to finish 1-4, this is our worst season since 2005. And Max will have gotten worse in each of his consecutive seasons starting.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: We're 1-2 now

Post by Lawboy »

Well, max already lost the streak for BYU Sr. Qb's winning conference. I relaize there is an outside shot at this, should Utah upset TCU, and we win out, creating a 3-way tie. But I do not see that happening. I see TCU having it in the bag. Which means over the last 6 seasons, BYU, TCU and Utah each have 2 conf titles. Sounds pretty competitive to me...

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

I'm not sure I was watching the same game that you guys were, I didn't see Max Hall as being our problem Saturday. That Interception of his was a bad-luck one, it actually hit the darn receiver. And Max was eating the ball better and not throwing it into coverage. As a matter of fact, I think it was a scheme failure that lead to this loss; oh that and the fact that the officals decided that they were tired of sucking so bad that both teams hated them and decided to just suck half as bad, so only one did....

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

The INT was a bad pass. It was thrown behind and low to Kariya. Had it been thrown well, Kariya had 20 yards easy. It may have hit his hand as he reached back going the other direction, but that is a near impossible catch. Too bad, because it was a huge momentum play. If that drive leads to a score, the game is back on. After that, we all thought FSU all over again. I am sure the players did as well.

And I agree it was scheme 100%. Especially offensive scheme. Anae got schooled.

Florwood
Senior

Post by Florwood »

Mars wrote:
If BYU wins out, we finish the season 3-2. That's better than last year, and roughly equal to 2006 and 2007.

If BYU loses to Utah and in our bowl game, to finish 1-4, this is our worst season since 2005. And Max will have gotten worse in each of his consecutive seasons starting.
Interesting take. I was looking back at the 1990 season, a fondly remembered season, where BYU went 10-3. Using your system, they went 2-3. Big wins over Miami and Utah, big losses to Oregon, Hawaii (reg season finale/Heisman day), and Texas A&M (bowl).

So BYU has a chance to be as good or slightly better than 1990, minus the individual awards and records. We're not likely to face a team as good as TCU again this year, so maybe still a good chance...

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Here's the rule for football players from jr. high on: if you can get your hands on the ball, it's your job to catch it, end of story.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Schmoe wrote:Here's the rule for football players from jr. high on: if you can get your hands on the ball, it's your job to catch it, end of story.
I agree. If the ball hits you in the hand, you'd better lose the hand rather than not catch it.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Florwood wrote: I was looking back at the 1990 season, a fondly remembered season, where BYU went 10-3. Using your system, they went 2-3.
Technically, I think of last year as a 2-3 season (10-3), with wins over Washington and UCLA. Those teams weren't very good, but they were big wins to me nonetheless.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Schmoe wrote:Here's the rule for football players from jr. high on: if you can get your hands on the ball, it's your job to catch it, end of story.
I'd have to look again, but it seemed like one of those places you couldn't really use your hands to catch it. I don't know if we can pin the blame on either player. I WILL say that that play ended the game for BYU though.