3rd and Long is NOT a running down

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: 3rd and Long is NOT a running down

Post by Gunk »

cachevalleycougar wrote:You must not pay attention to some of these...
Lawboy wrote: 2) Name the last time you saw a WR catch a pass on a slant or crossing pattern, hallmarks of the 80's offense? Every game - at least 2 or 3 times. Most of Chambers' catches on the year are slants; he and Thompson caught slants on Saturday, and Hafoka made a great catch on a cross...
3) Name the last time you saw Pitta or George catch multiple passes over the middle? (1 throw to them in the middle all game v. TCU--catch by Pitta for 22). Most games. Almost all of George's catches are over the middle; Pitta catches them all over
5) Name the last time you saw a pass pattern where BYU flooded a specific zone with crosses, motion, etc, in order to try to create a mismatch? Isn't this the whole idea of bunching 3-4 players to one side like they do a handful of times every game; or putting Pitta in the slot?
I might be wrong, but the vast majority of passes to George or Pitts over the middle are on 3rd and long. I swear, if it's 3rd and long and we don't run it, it's a pass up the middle to Pitta or George, usually threaded between two defenders.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

BoiseBYU wrote: Running on third and long can make more sense if you are planning to go on fourth and hopefully shorter...
AMEN and HALLELUJAH!

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

Lawboy wrote: And tell me when a WR goes deep middle, my other point. Or catches a ball between the hash marks? The point being, WR's pretty much always stay outside,
I can't remember the last time BYU threw a deep pass NOT down the sideline.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

1988 v. Texas. Sean Covey to Andy Boyce for a touchdown on BYU's first offensive play of the game. Just kidding. It may have been Chuck Cutler.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.