QB Trent Hosick decomits, opens up recruitment

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: QB Trent Hosick decomits, opens up recruitment

Post by Fido »

Interesting to read on the CougarNation tweets:
- Khari Vanderbilt is listed as uncommitted and will decide between BYU and Utah State on signing day (rivals lists him as committed to BYU)
- Not only does CougarNation say Hosick will not come to BYU, but says no new QBs will be recruited with Mangum coming off his mission and Hoge (no mission) and Kody Wilstead (mission first) already committed. They also have future commit Jaren Hall as a verbal too. So maybe that means Kavika Johnson gets left out?
- Speculation about what the coaching turnover at Utah will do for recruits like Mufi Hunt, Gabe Reid, Britain Covey, and James Empey who are still deciding.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

I would have loved to see it.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

craigoscarson wrote:Trent is not as good as he thinks he is. Trent would not have gotten along with his teammates at BYU. He's from my hometown and he's a holy rolling southern baptist without a filter. Imagine Mike Huckabee playing QB at BYU. Tanner Mangum won the elite 11 MVP with Jameis Winston... it's his job in after Taysom is done... and yes that means Robert Anae has to cater his offense to a dropback QB, which he needs to do anyhow before we kill another.
I don't think Anae is in love with running QBs as much as people like to think. He simply plays to the advantages that his quarterbacks give him. taysom Hill and Nelson were both better on their feet and running wild than they were as dropback passers. And, I believe, that Taysom's success throwing the football had more to do with defenses being forced to respect Taysom's running game than any significant improvements by Taysom Hill. And all of that is fine with me. I'll repeat again, the play that got Taysom hurt was a fluke tackle that could have happened at any time, not just because BYU was using TH to run the ball.

Anae has shown that he is just as proficient with a drop back passer (CS, Beck and Hall all come to mind) as he is with a QB that likes to run. If he could get a o-line to function even at a mediocre level BYU's passing game this year would have been even more fun to watch.

This year was simply a case of playing the QB that gives you the best chance to win and providing an offensive game plan that plays to the strengths of that QB. The 49ers and the offense they rolled out this year for Kaepernick is an example of what I DON'T want to see Anae do. Kaepernick was forced into more of a dropback passing roll which obviously did not work out well.