Bronco "taking over the defense."

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Bronco "taking over the defense."

Post by Cougs_Rule »

frdbtr wrote:bronco took over the defense in 2010 and transformed it in a week. Yes, it can be done. Oh and by the way, this years defense was far from a C grade, I give it an F.
I guess I wouldn't disagree. But I was trying not to be totally negative. It's why I like a 1-10 scale.
And yes, I guess I would give them a 5, which would be an F. 2013 I think I gave a 7.5 and 2012 a 8.5-9.
So, ya. This year was bad. If Bronco can get this team back to a 7 or 7.5 (not sure he has enough talent to go higher) I think next year could be a pretty good year.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

I've heard Bronco is so impressed with Kaufusi that he is going to retool the defense back to a 3-3-5 so he can feature Bronson as the Kat-back. [/tic]

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

snoscythe wrote:I've heard Bronco is so impressed with Kaufusi that he is going to retool the defense back to a 3-3-5 so he can feature Bronson as the Kat-back. [/tic]
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Funny Sno. For a brief moment I thought you were going to say he was going to throw in some 4-3-4 to best utilize BK, who would do better, as Ziggy did, as a pash rusher.

CrimsonCoug
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CrimsonCoug »

hawkwing wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:Taking over the defense better include Bronson Kaufusi moving back to DE full-time. Not having your players playing where they can do what they do best is a poor recipe for success.
Bronco had already said that next year the Bronson experiment would be over, he was playing DLine only. Hopefully he sticks to that.
Do you have a link for that Hawk? I'd love to believe it's true. I remember Dave McCann saying those exact words, "the Bronson experiment needs to be over", but I haven't seen that attributed to Bronco.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
vrob
Recruit

Post by vrob »

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

vrob wrote:

So, guys, what do we make of this? If "taking back the defense" is true--

Does this mean that Bronco was further removed than we thought in 2013 and that his version of "taking back the defense" means stepping up his involvement and getting very involved just not calling the plays?

That the tweet was not an approved tweet and bronco never said he was "taking it back"?

Or this whole "taking back" quote is just a smoke and mirrors to get people to believe and buy season tickets next year?

Or that there is some face saving for Howell by not taking back play-calling too?

I hate to sound like a Pharisee, but I must admit my if both statements are accurate there is a gap here that stinks like a three day old fish. My hope meter has taken a dive and I will go back to doubting and only believing after I see evidence or explanation that confirms bronco has in fact done something to change things.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

Its official now:
http://byucougars.com/m-football/menden ... yu-defense" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mendenhall to oversee BYU defense

PROVO, Utah — BYU head football coach Bronco Mendenhall today announced he is returning to the role of overseeing the BYU defense, including play-calling responsibilities.

“After reviewing the season, I believe returning to my prior responsibilities directly overseeing the defense gives our team the best chance to achieve the results we want on the field,” Mendenhall said. “As a program we’ve had a proven record of defensive success, and I look forward to my role once again as the primary defensive coach working with our coaches and players.”

With Mendenhall’s return to the defense, the structure and resources of the defensive staff will mirror that of the 2013 season. BYU’s offensive staff will continue in their current responsibilities in 2015.
Mendenhall first came to BYU as the defensive coordinator in 2003 and has maintained coordinator duties during the majority of his tenure since being named the head coach in 2005. In 10 seasons as head coach, Mendenhall has guided the Cougars to a 90-39 record and 10 consecutive bowl games. BYU’s defense has achieved top-25 rankings in various categories 62 times over the past 10 seasons while averaging a top-20 scoring defense from 2006-2013.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

I think Bronco's one year focusing on the offense will pay dividends going forward. The coaches and players on that side of the ball will likely be as intense as the defense will be under Bronco.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

So, Howell is still defensive coordinator and calling plays on Saturdays, but Bronco is now "Head Coach/Primary Defensive Coach"?

How does that dynamic work? I'm hoping he's just letting Howell retain the title so he doesn't have his pay cut with a demotion, but I'm only slightly reassured given Bronco's track record of over-allegiance to his closest amigos.