Was it just me, . . . . ?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Was it just me, . . . . ?

Post by hawkwing »

bball wrote:According to Patterson, he played his defensive starters the entire game, "the defense has a lot of pride," meaning they are not willing to let the subs play and give up a couple of meaningless scores. I found this interesting, maybe because I think he is already thinking about next year, and he wants BYU to fear playing his team, and fear getting embarrassed again.
Seems like an extremely ineffective way of developing younger players.

Wickchad
All-American

Post by Wickchad »

hawkwing wrote:
bball wrote:According to Patterson, he played his defensive starters the entire game, "the defense has a lot of pride," meaning they are not willing to let the subs play and give up a couple of meaningless scores. I found this interesting, maybe because I think he is already thinking about next year, and he wants BYU to fear playing his team, and fear getting embarrassed again.
Seems like an extremely ineffective way of developing younger players.
This is what a coach does when they want to climb in the rankings.

imuakahuku
All-American

Post by imuakahuku »

mcgregor wrote:
Sammich wrote:
mcgregor wrote: I don't mean this personally, but "happy feet" is typically a false criticism. We can talk about it if you'd like.
I'm curious to hear about this---I've never known what people are talking about when they say happy feet, although it brings up some funny imagery. I remember John Beck used to shuffle around more than seemed necessary, even when nobody was pressuring him, then it seemed like he calmed down his Senior year and instead moved around the pocket like a snake getting ready to strike. I have no idea why one is better than the other, but it definitely made Beck seem more deadly when he moved with that kind of confidence.
A good QB makes progressions not just with his eyes, not just with his shoulders, and not just with his hips. And good QB makes progressions with his feet.

A great QB makes his reads quickly.

Thus, sometimes what we claim is "happy feet" is in fact a really good QB making his reads quickly and in the manner he has been coached. The appearance is exacerbated when you have an EXCELLENT QB that can go through his reads, and start working working his way back if need be.

That being said, there is a such thing as "happy feet."

To add just a note. When the qb moves his feet it is in a controled and helpful manner. When they get out of step and are not controlling their feet people start saying that he had "happy feet". If you watched Beck, he had great footwork. It was like he was bouncing while in the pocket but it was him moving his feet in a controled rythm so he could get rid of the ball quickly. If the QB is not moving his feet he will not be able to throw quickly or if he does he will not have as much velocity on it as he could or probably should have had on it.