Is it Possible that Wisconsin is just bad this year?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
KingCoug
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Is it Possible that Wisconsin is just bad this year?

Post by KingCoug »

As I said in another thread, I think them underestimating us certainly helped. And I think it's unlikely Wisconsin will be a playoff team as some predicted. But they could still end up being a top 10 team. Don't buy too much into the P5 elitist thinking that anytime a G5 upsets a P5, it's because the P5 just sucks that year.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

KingCoug wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:01 pm As I said in another thread, I think them underestimating us certainly helped. And I think it's unlikely Wisconsin will be a playoff team as some predicted. But they could still end up being a top 10 team. Don't buy too much into the P5 elitist thinking that anytime a G5 upsets a P5, it's because the P5 just sucks that year.
We should also remember that as an independent not called Notre Dame that we basically intentionally play outside the whole CFP/P5/G5 system. So all the stuff around measuring SOS, qualify wins, etc., doesn't mean anything regarding our fate. Sure, a NY6 bowl might take us if we don't lose another, but that's highly unlikely. We just play games. Beating Wisconsin on the road, which is a team that hasn't lost to a non-conference opponent at home in like 10 years, is a good win. Let's not automatically downplay it because it's us. Utah fans do that enough for us already. We don't need to join in. They may not be a CFP contender but they're not terrible. And even if they were, well, we still won.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

Mars wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:59 pm I think we learned from Arizona that sometimes teams aren't as good as we think they are.

Wisconsin's QB didn't look good, and their WRs didn't show up. But we know that their OL and lead RB are both very, VERY good.

Wisconsin is pretty consistently elite, with a great defense. This year, only 4 defensive starters returned, and then they lost their best LB this game to injury. So maybe it is a down year for them.

It helps that Wisconsin was untested, and probably wasn't afraid of BYU. And it helps that BYU already played at Arizona, and that we were coming off of a painful loss and were angry.

I also think this was a good match-up for us, facing a running team again like Arizona. Back-up wildcat option QBs not included.

We'll learn more about Wisconsin after they play Iowa, and more about us after we play McNeese and Washington. Washington seems to be a worse match-up, as they simply have more speed.
Hornibrook is the same QB that lit us up in Provo last year. Jonathan Taylor rushed for almost 2,000 yards and is a Heisman candidate. Finished #6 in the Heisman voting in 2017. Easily pre-season top-5 in just about every analysis. On pace for over 2,000 yards this year. They returned their entire oline from last year, including 3 All Americans - every one of them on the Outland trophy watch list and NFL draft board.

I agree that this turned out to be a good matchup-up for the Cougars. We had a great game plan and fantastic execution. This was a big win.

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

Question. Sean Walker from KSL noted: "...and BYU blocked a potential game-tying field goal with 41 seconds left..."

That's the first I had heard anyone mention that the last field goal attempt by the Badgers had been touched. Anyone else?

https://www.ksl.com/article/46391576/ca ... nsin-24-21

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Other stats I saw:

Wisconsin had the #2 defense last year.

They were #6 in rushing coming into this game.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Yzzazz
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Yzzazz »

YNot wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:38 pm
Hornibrook is the same QB that lit us up in Provo last year. Jonathan Taylor rushed for almost 2,000 yards and is a Heisman candidate. Finished #6 in the Heisman voting in 2017. Easily pre-season top-5 in just about every analysis. On pace for over 2,000 yards this year. They returned their entire oline from last year, including 3 All Americans - every one of them on the Outland trophy watch list and NFL draft board.
Mars wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:43 pm Other stats I saw:

Wisconsin had the #2 defense last year.

They were #6 in rushing coming into this game.
These are good points. It gives me hope.

The reason I think this matters is not because I want to discount the value of the win. It is what everyone has said it was, one of the biggest in school history. The bigger reason is to determine what kind of predictor this win is for the season, and more importantly, the program. Will the offensive coordinator continue to make good play calls and study hard to prep adequately for upcoming opponents? Has the strength and conditioning staff truly improved and made a quantum leap forward? Will BYU actually be able to compete in the top 25 stage?

As much as BYU fans have ever hoped these things would be true, they NEVER really were for any sustainable period. Flashes: 1984, 1996, 2006, but nothing that continued and all revolved around a senior QB.

What we saw in the Wisconsin game appeared to be a whole new level of play. The only thing we ever saw that was close to it, in my opinion, was the Oklahoma game, but the brightness of that fizzled. Injuries, change of personnel, poor coaching in clutch moments are what have defined BYU over the years. We saw no indication of that in this game (minimal injury in a HIGHLY physical game and the game didn't rest on the senior QB though he certainly played his part well) and it would be amazing to think we might be able to expect more of that in the future.

Obviously, we can't know for sure that a sea-change has truly occurred, this week, but a win at Washington would make you begin to wonder. We won't really know until next year (or maybe this year if injury strikes) and a new QB and RB show up. I am very impressed with the idea that our O-line put on an average of 30 pounds of muscle to be ready for this season. I think that shows outstanding foresight by the staff and bodes well for Kalani's future.

Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

No team looks great in a loss. If their offense had run up the score and lost, their defense would be suspect. If their defense held us to 3 points and we won, they’d be universally panned as terrible. You can really only look at the adjacent games and overall record to guess accurately whether a team is any good.

KYCoug
Sophomore

Post by KYCoug »

This conversation is what drives me crazy about our fans. Last week we had posters who were saying we should not be scheduling teams like Wisconsin and should rejoin the MWC and fill our schedule with teams like Weber and SUU. So now we be a ligit perennial top 10 team on the road and it's...well they really arn't that good. I couldn't be more thrilled with this team. Sure we lost to Cal and could have won that game but I am just happy we actually have an offense that can move the ball and a defense that can come up with a stop when needed.

So, just enjoy the game!!!!

Go Cougs

L Hatton
Louisville, KY

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Wisconsin will not be in the playoff....because we beat them. But this team was legit. If they win out and win their conference, they would end up being one of the best teams BYU ever beat (Miami will probably always hold that title). They will probably end up the year with another loss or two but will end the year in the top 25 which will still be a great win. Don't worry, they are a very good team that we played at the right time with the right attitude and beat. This was a really quality win.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

The key thing to remember, is no team BYU has ever beaten has ended up going undefeated. ;)