Fair Weather Fans

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Fair Weather Fans

Post by byufan4ever »

The older I get I have also become better at not letting the outcome affect me. I believe that I am 100% invested but at the same time this is just a sport and I won't let a win or loss dictate how I will feel for the next 48 hours. I also don't get up in arms about hating everything Utah. It's just a sport that I watch for fun and expending effort on hate isn't worth it to me.

So maybe I'm just weird in that I can be yelling and screaming during the game enjoying it and then 30 minutes after the game move on with my life.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
1967cougar
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by 1967cougar »

I don’t think it’s a matter of fair weather fans as much as it’s a matter of fair weather coaches.

Wolverine
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Wolverine »

1967cougar wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:04 pm I don’t think it’s a matter of fair weather fans as much as it’s a matter of fair weather coaches.
Not fair weather coaches, but ones that are all wet.

hypercoug
BLUEshirt

Post by hypercoug »

BYU football sucks now. The program sucks. It's not worth my time. Sure, I am interested enough to pop on here from time to time, and read the comments. But I hardly watched any of the games this year. Didn't watch the bowl game either. Got more exciting things to do.

Call me a fair weather fan. I won't disagree with you. BYU football has been run into the ground. Sure, there's some talent, and some impressive wins sprinkled in with horrific losses. But bottom line, BYU is just not relevant at all anymore. It's a rudderless ship.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Interesting to see that most here have reflected the same sentiments I have about BYU sports in finding that maybe being so invested in a sport is not the optimum direction in life as it can carry you up and down in such radical ways. It causes me anxiety, so I step back and watch more from a distance, but never decline my allegiance to the university.

I grew up a Cleveland Indians fan in the 1960's where they struggled year after year to make it to .500. Believe me, I've lived in meritocracy and then lived the height of 3 world series without a win in the last couple of decades. It seems like it is more than just an entertainment because I really care and feel losses. Pulling back from times when coaching or team performance is shoddy is almost an expectation for me.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

I thought the Hawaii Bowl game was exciting and entertaining Lots of yards sacks and big plays and controversy! Sure it sucks to lose and the third and two call goes down as The.Second.Worst.Call.Ever, but I do not need a win to say that was some game. I am bummed, but my need for a win is not such much it brings me down. Maybe THAT makes me a fair weather fan, I don't know. I watched most games and I found them more entertaining than not, with some real exciting finishes....