BYU Stanford Extend Series...

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU Stanford Extend Series...

Post by byufan4ever »

If we did this type of deal with, say, Utah, I would think 90% of the fans would be up in arms. I just want BYU to be seen as an equal in negotiations and to not be pushed around and to cave to other teams demands. Now, if the deal was, if you give us some Nov games we'll give you the home games up front, then that could be a sound negotiation. But if these games come with a very low buyout or some weak clause for Stanford to get out of the back games then I would be pisssed.

While it's fun playing all of these different teams, I really want to be in a conference again. The right conference. Not the MWC.

Oh and hey, we got a little bit if a discussion going. Been pretty dead here.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

When looking at the Stanford schedule, it appears that BYU is taking the opportunity to fill the Thanksgiving weekend Stanford/USC game that they need to fill late in the conference schedule season when many non-independent teams aren't available.

Thanksgiving Weekend Football Game
2020 - Stanford vs BYU, USC vs Notre Dame
2021 - Stanford vs Notre Dame, USC vs BYU
2022 - Stanford vs BYU, USC vs Notre Dame
2023 - Stanford vs Notre Dame, USC vs BYU
2024 - USC vs Notre Dame **Stanford @ Notre Dame earlier in October
2025 - **Stanford @ BYU in September
2026 - Stanford vs BYU*, USC vs Notre Dame
2027 - **BYU already has 3 games in September
2028 - Stanford vs BYU*
2029 - **Stanford @ BYU in September
2031 - *Stanford @ BYU in August
2035 - *Stanford @ BYU in September

* Newly added to the series
** Description of other notes

The PAC12/ND Thanksgiving game is not there in 2025 or 2027 but BYU fills in the 2026 slot with the new agreement and fills the 2028 spot for Stanford, though Notre Dame doesn't have anything in that spot on their schedule yet. Needing return games, the 2031 and 2035 games are probably fitting Stanford needs since they can only schedule 3 OOC games per season. If I'm BYU, I'm taking any of those Thanksgiving weekend games with either USC or Stanford as they are well publicized against a good opponent at a spot that is tough to fill otherwise.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

Here are the 82 future games scheduled with BYU as of today:

Boise State 14

Stanford 8

Utah 7

Arizona 3
Utah State 3
Virginia 3

Arizona State 2
Arkansas 2
Baylor 2
East Carolina 2
Georgia Southern 2
Hawaii 2
Houston 2
Minnesota 2
NC State 2
Rice 2
UCF 2
UNLV 2
USC 2
Virginia Tech 2
Wyoming 2

Dixie State (FCS) 1
Idaho State (FCS) 1
Liberty 1
Michigan State 1
Missouri 1
North Alabama (FCS) 1
Northern Illinois 1
Notre Dame 1
Oregon 1
San Diego State 1
Southern Utah (FCS) 1
Tennessee 1
USF 1
Washington State 1

CougarCrazy
BLUEshirt

Post by CougarCrazy »

Fido wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:40 am When looking at the Stanford schedule, it appears that BYU is taking the opportunity to fill the Thanksgiving weekend Stanford/USC game that they need to fill late in the conference schedule season when many non-independent teams aren't available.

2028 - Stanford vs BYU*

The PAC12/ND Thanksgiving game is not there in 2025 or 2027 but BYU fills in the 2026 slot with the new agreement and fills the 2028 spot for Stanford, though Notre Dame doesn't have anything in that spot on their schedule yet. Needing return games, the 2031 and 2035 games are probably fitting Stanford needs since they can only schedule 3 OOC games per season. If I'm BYU, I'm taking any of those Thanksgiving weekend games with either USC or Stanford as they are well publicized against a good opponent at a spot that is tough to fill otherwise.
That’s a good breakdown. I don’t hate the deal, but I’m skeptical of it. Obviously BYU can’t do too many deals like this. The November games are what made it appealing I’m sure.

I’m sure BYU tried to get some home games in between, but if that was all Stanford was offering I’d take it too, but I’d want more than a 1 million dollar buyout for more than 1 game (meaning, if they want to buyout 1 I’d live with 1 million). If Stanford wants to buy out 2 games hopefully the contract gets very nasty.

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

CougarCrazy wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:03 pm
Fido wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:40 am When looking at the Stanford schedule, it appears that BYU is taking the opportunity to fill the Thanksgiving weekend Stanford/USC game that they need to fill late in the conference schedule season when many non-independent teams aren't available.

2028 - Stanford vs BYU*

That’s a good breakdown. I don’t hate the deal, but I’m skeptical of it. Obviously BYU can’t do too many deals like this. The November games are what made it appealing I’m sure.

I’m sure BYU tried to get some home games in between, but if that was all Stanford was offering I’d take it too, but I’d want more than a 1 million dollar buyout for more than 1 game (meaning, if they want to buyout 1 I’d live with 1 million). If Stanford wants to buy out 2 games hopefully the contract gets very nasty.
Remember Stanford plays in the PAC 12, their network has lousy distribution. Stanford is NOT going to cancel an ESPN game.

CougarCrazy
BLUEshirt

Post by CougarCrazy »

ABYUFAN wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:16 pm
CougarCrazy wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:03 pm

2028 - Stanford vs BYU*

Remember Stanford plays in the PAC 12, their network has lousy distribution. Stanford is NOT going to cancel an ESPN game.
15 years though. Hyper inflation might make the buyout less than a loaf of bread and ESPN might be out of business. Who knows what the world will look like then, we only know we can’t guess. In 2005 we had no idea what CFB would be like in 2020.

There is risk in this deal and BYU is the one carrying all of it. I hope they protected themselves. The ND deal is proof of that.

I’m not hating the deal, just not turning cartwheels and the devil is in the details. BYU hasn’t done the best job managing those kinds of details in the past lol.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

CougarCrazy wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:01 pm 15 years though. Hyper inflation might make the buyout less than a loaf of bread and ESPN might be out of business. Who knows what the world will look like then, we only know we can’t guess. In 2005 we had no idea what CFB would be like in 2020.

There is risk in this deal and BYU is the one carrying all of it. I hope they protected themselves. The ND deal is proof of that.

I’m not hating the deal, just not turning cartwheels and the devil is in the details. BYU hasn’t done the best job managing those kinds of details in the past lol.
Nothing risked, nothing gained. I think the risk of having a game bought out 15 years down the road is worth playing Thanksgiving weekend games that matter--at least to an indy BYU and is hopefully a featured game on the PAC12 media schedule. The wait to get Stanford @ home on ESPN will be worth the coverage too compared to some of the November games we've had to settle for.