BYU vs San Diego

BYU Cougars on the court.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU vs San Diego

Post by byufan4ever »

Gunk wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:11 am Phew...

Way too close. I don't know if San Diego just matches up better against us or what, but that was close.

Credit to SD for taking us out of our three point game. They really got out on the perimeter.

Baxter looked a bit better out there, but he needs to get the ball. No one is giving him the ball. I'd like to see him get some touches otherwise teams will learn they can ditch him. Colby Lee brings more offensively than Baxter does right now.
SD coach said before the game that he was not going to let us shoot the 3. That means that the inside game should have opened up. Mark Durrant predicted that Childs would have 30 points. Getting in fould trouble hurt.

I also noticed that the team almost seems to be intentionally not passing the ball to Baxter. They don't have confidence in his scoring. Heck, Baxter doesn't have confidence in his own scoring. Watch his body language. He's not posting up begging for the ball. When he does get it it's a quick pass to someone else. No attempt to dribble or score for himself. I understand that Baxter was the one begging to play this season but I wish he had just sat it out. He's ok definsively but a huge liability on offense. I also wish the new football redshirt rules applied to basketball, but they do not. One game burns the redshirt.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

Well in the past years we've had one of "those" games each season, sometimes multiple, where we have lost to an inferior team (talent wise and based on the numbers we had been producing), but this year, so far, we only had the one (in conference) and on this one we found a way to win it.

I agree, we did take Nixon for granted, but I hope our lack of defense was not all related to him. Pope's been preaching defense all season, so we need to do better and shut down teams like this. For USD, they had great productions offensively off the bench. More than you would ever expect. I mean three (3) guys off the bench in double digits. I don't think we've done that this season. 3 guys! Wow.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

EM_Puma wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:14 am Well in the past years we've had one of "those" games each season, sometimes multiple, where we have lost to an inferior team (talent wise and based on the numbers we had been producing), but this year, so far, we only had the one (in conference) and on this one we found a way to win it.

I agree, we did take Nixon for granted, but I hope our lack of defense was not all related to him. Pope's been preaching defense all season, so we need to do better and shut down teams like this. For USD, they had great productions offensively off the bench. More than you would ever expect. I mean three (3) guys off the bench in double digits. I don't think we've done that this season. 3 guys! Wow.
I dunno. Up 20 in the 2nd half, we should not have lost to USF.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Nixon out hurts us. Anyone know his ETA?

I get nervous seeing Baxter out there as the only big. I'd rather see Lee in that situation. Baxter is a liability out there right now, even defensively. I'd rather see him out there with Childs or Lee, which alleviates some of the pressure. Let him guard the paint and eat up some fouls that Childs might have otherwise gotten. Put Baxter in solo only during the last 5 min if we have a healthy lead, but that scenario may not happen the rest of the season.

Lee is a more productive player - more rebounds, points, etc.

Hard thing is Seljaas and Nixon provide excellent defense and can shoot. So, if Baxter is in with Childs or Lee, that means we sacrifice a shooter.

Tough call by Pope, but this team is deep now. Probably the deepest we've had. We have Nixon, Seljaas, Harding, and Baxter all coming off the bench. That's almost an entire five man rotation coming off the bench.
Last edited by Gunk on Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

BroncoBot wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:30 am
EM_Puma wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:14 am Well in the past years we've had one of "those" games each season, sometimes multiple, where we have lost to an inferior team (talent wise and based on the numbers we had been producing), but this year, so far, we only had the one (in conference) and on this one we found a way to win it.

That was completely avoidable too.

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

Too early to count Baxter out. Just needs some time and he will be fine.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Gunk wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:30 am
BroncoBot wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:30 am

That was completely avoidable too.
Pope took responsibility for the loss and I'd allow him to have it. I believe he learned a lot as a coach and will be mindful to safeguard us against such a demise. We'll see, because like most of our losses this season, it could have and should have been avoided.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

BYULV wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:31 pm Too early to count Baxter out. Just needs some time and he will be fine.
That's what I'm believing and hoping. We had such hopes for him preseason to be playing with Yoeli, but we didn't know that Colby would develop to the level he has either. Personally, I'm shocked, but he has been a real asset and I believe the addition of Baxter will end up being worth the loss of a whole season.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Latest rumor I heard about Nixon is that BYU will be lucky to have him back in time for the NCAA tourney.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

hawkwing wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:29 am Latest rumor I heard about Nixon is that BYU will be lucky to have him back in time for the NCAA tourney.
Serious! Not good. We need that guy. All the more reason to get Baxter going.