BYU @ Army not likely to happen

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

BYU @ Army not likely to happen

Post by Fido »

On 1280 this morning they talked about BYU @ Army is probably not happening for a reschedule because Army's top priority is focusing on the Commander in Chief trophy--which means an Air Force reschedule is top priority--so they are going to maintain flexibility in case Air Force comes available due to another cancellation and use 12/19 as a fallback.

And with BYU where it is in the standings, they don't have much chance to improve the standings with an addition. Though it might be good to not have a 2 week break before SDSU to end the season. I guess we are still in a wait and see mode but options are getting thin.

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU @ Army not likely to happen

Post by EM_Puma »

I would be totally shocked if this game goes down. I don't think Army has been keeping their options open for the AF game. They simply didn't want to play us after they saw how good we are. But...now with the AF/Army game postponed last weekend, that is what they will do--keep their flexibility open to make the game happen as right now it doesn't look like it will.

Interesting on what will happen for the CIC trophy if AF and Army don't play this year, because it doesn't look likely and AF as said as much. Currently, the only open date for an AF/Army game is Dec 17-19 and the 19th is the MWC championship. So, AF would have to not be one of the top 2 teams in the conference and the MWC would have to give them permission. As you note, maybe they are in a holding pattern in case New Mexico, CSU or the USU games are cancelled due to an outbreak of COVID on one of those teams. Since the MWC has allowed to call the game last week "postponed", I don't see them having problems letting AF schedule Army to replace one of those teams. It's an interesting side-note to this highly irregular pandemic season.