Jeff Grimes heading to Baylor as OC

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Jeff Grimes heading to Baylor as OC

Post by frdbtr »

Fido wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:34 pm Grimes is very close with Ryan Pugh. In Jay Drew's tweet he says that "Grimes considers Pugh a son". It makes sense that if he could get Pugh or take Mateos with him he would take Pugh first. After all, he did it once before in bringing Pugh to BYU and only lost him so he could have a shot at being an OC at Troy. Being the OL coach at a P5 is going to be a better opportunity to move up than the OC at a G5 school--especially if Baylor does well the next few years.
And everyone else is a BYU lifer.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

With Pugh losing the Baylor job, he might take Mateos. big loss for us. But we could replace him with Pugh. Pugh was the first choice so it might turn into an upgrade.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

scott715 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:14 pm With Pugh losing the Baylor job, he might take Mateos. big loss for us. But we could replace him with Pugh. Pugh was the first choice so it might turn into an upgrade.
You think BYU looks past the blackface thing? Honest question.

I don't know that a school that is getting flak from past players right now for not having enough black coaches to mentor black student athletes would go out and hire Pugh right now.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Well, a teams offense will go as far as their offensive line will take them. IMO this will be an important hire and if BYU gets it wrong, the offense is going to really struggle. I was so sick of the horrible offensive line play we had had since Grimes left the first time and now that it is getting where it should be he, and his Oline coach leave again.

E-Zone15
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by E-Zone15 »

snoscythe wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:10 pm
scott715 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:14 pm With Pugh losing the Baylor job, he might take Mateos. big loss for us. But we could replace him with Pugh. Pugh was the first choice so it might turn into an upgrade.

I don't know that a school that is getting flak from past players right now for not having enough black coaches to mentor black student athletes would go out and hire Pugh right now.
The Black thing happened when he was in college by what I can tell and it looked pretty harmless. BYU has hired him once already since his college days so he has already been though the hiring process at BYU already and they hired him then. So I'm more than happy to take him back again, after all he was Grimes' 1st choice again (@BYU and @Baylor).

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

E-Zone15 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:08 am
snoscythe wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:10 pm

The Black thing happened when he was in college by what I can tell and it looked pretty harmless. BYU has hired him once already since his college days so he has already been though the hiring process at BYU already and they hired him then. So I'm more than happy to take him back again, after all he was Grimes' 1st choice again (@BYU and @Baylor).
Okay, I can see that.

So the follow-up question is, if Troy is willing to take him back as their OC, does he leave a coordinator position at a G5 school to be the Oline coach at non-P5 BYU? Have to remember -- he left BYU to take the Troy job, and he's doing pretty good there--why would he come back?

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I thought Troy did not want him back.

E-Zone15
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by E-Zone15 »

scott715 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:03 pm I thought Troy did not want him back.
That is my understanding also, he left as their co-OC to take an OL position at P5 school (Baylor) and then Baylor uncovers this picture from his college days. Plus, would not be a good look for them to be thought of as a fall back plan.