Utah St new football staff

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
E-Zone15
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Utah St new football staff

Post by E-Zone15 »

Has anyone been following Utah St's new football staff. They seem to be going very young and likely putting a lot of their eggs in the young go get them recruiters (Deep South connections). Coach Anderson has bought 2 coaches from his Arkansas St staff and 2 more for Miami Florida's staff (their co-DC/S Coach and Senior Quality Control Analyst who will be a first year position coach ILB).

Utah St Football Coaching Staff Link; https://utahstateaggies.com/sports/football/coaches

They have 3 former Utah St players that are going from Graduate Assistant to first time Position Coach:
Chuckie Keeton (2011-15): 2016 Oregon St- Offensive Quality Control Assistant; 2017 Oregon St- Offensive Graduate Assistant; 2018 Utah St- Offensive Graduate Assistant; 2019-20 Texas Tech- Offensive Graduate Assistant -- 2021 Utah St- RB Coach

Al Lapuaho (2011-12): 2016-17 Oregon St- Defensive Graduate Assistant; 2018-19 Utah St- Defensive Graduate Assistant; 2020 Utah St- Strength and Conditioning Graduate Assistant -- 2021 DL Coach

DJ Tialavea (2010-13): 2020 Utah St- Graduate Assistant -- 2021 Utah St- TE Coach

So that will give them 4 first time position coaches and 2 Poly coaches. I think both the Poly coaches are LDS, but didn't think either one of them served a mission (at least I can't find anywhere that says they did). Coach Anderson still has 3 position coaches to hire (QB, OL, and CB) and one could be the OC. But can help but wonder how well will this staff recruit in Utah? What about the LDS mission players?
I find it really interesting the direction they are going after the whole Coach Frank Maile thing just went down the time Anderson was hired,

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Utah St new football staff

Post by hawkwing »

I haven't followed the USU coaching changes since Anderson was hired, so that's really interesting to hear.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

This didn't work out too well for BYU when they did this with Ty Detmers offensive staff. Interesting to see whether this gamble will pay off for Utah state.

E-Zone15
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by E-Zone15 »

E-Zone15 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:20 am Has anyone been following Utah St's new football staff. They seem to be going very young and likely putting a lot of their eggs in the young go get them recruiters (Deep South connections). Coach Anderson has bought 2 coaches from his Arkansas St staff and 2 more for Miami Florida's staff (their co-DC/S Coach and Senior Quality Control Analyst who will be a first year position coach ILB).

Utah St Football Coaching Staff Link; https://utahstateaggies.com/sports/football/coaches

They have 3 former Utah St players that are going from Graduate Assistant to first time Position Coach:
Chuckie Keeton (2011-15): 2016 Oregon St- Offensive Quality Control Assistant; 2017 Oregon St- Offensive Graduate Assistant; 2018 Utah St- Offensive Graduate Assistant; 2019-20 Texas Tech- Offensive Graduate Assistant -- 2021 Utah St- RB Coach

Al Lapuaho (2011-12): 2016-17 Oregon St- Defensive Graduate Assistant; 2018-19 Utah St- Defensive Graduate Assistant; 2020 Utah St- Strength and Conditioning Graduate Assistant -- 2021 DL Coach

DJ Tialavea (2010-13): 2020 Utah St- Graduate Assistant -- 2021 Utah St- TE Coach

So that will give them 4 first time position coaches and 2 Poly coaches. I think both the Poly coaches are LDS, but didn't think either one of them served a mission (at least I can't find anywhere that says they did). Coach Anderson still has 3 position coaches to hire (QB, OL, and CB) and one could be the OC. But can help but wonder how well will this staff recruit in Utah? What about the LDS mission players?
I find it really interesting the direction they are going after the whole Coach Frank Maile thing just went down the time Anderson was hired,
So Coach Anderson brought in another coach he had a connection with, form GA @Arkansas St in 2014-15 in Coach Micah Jones. At least this coach has been a position coach (even if it was a Co-OL Coach.
Micah Jones
2021-currently Utah St: OL Coach
2019-20 Massachusetts (UMass): Co-OL Coach
2018 UCF: O GA
2017 Maryland: O GA
2016 Faulkner University: Run Game Coordinator/ OL Coach
2014-15 Arkansas St: O GA

Micah Jones Utah St Bio: https://utahstateaggies.com/sports/foot ... -james/575

This is going to be a pretty young staff, I really thought they would go after a OL Coach with a lot more experience. Not someone who has only been a Co-OL coach for 2 years at a school that's OL was rated #106 (out of 127 schools ranked) by PFF in 2020. I think the OL coach is likely the most important hire after the OC and DC coaches... Heck, TJ Wood had Utah St at #68 (in a mess of a season) and they don't retain him in order to hire a 2 year Co-OL position coach from UMass.

It sounds like the new staff has not honored a couple RM scholarships all really in this first class. Which I kind of get, with the new staff trying get their recruits into the program and not some out of shape return missionary. So, I think this could be really interesting for the next few year.