Bracketology

BYU Cougars on the court.
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Bracketology

Post by EM_Puma »

Why is it that BYU is more often than not projected into play-in games in NCAA tournament? I see Lundardi has us as a play-in game with North Carolina with us both as a 11 seed. Last year at one point we were projected to be a playin team. We've been a playin team before.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... acketology

I'll take whatever it takes to get in the Big Dance, but we know we have received poor seeding in the past, but always wanting to put us in play-in games is ridiculous.

EM_Puma
Pro

Re: Bracketology

Post by EM_Puma »

In reality, I've never understood the logic behind the NCAA not only putting 16 seed teams in play-in games. How can you have teams ranked 12-16 that are not in a play-in game and you're a higher seed and have to play-in to get to the theoretical 1st round.

If you're a higher seed then dadgumit, you should not have to play a game more than any seed lower. I'd like someone to explain that to me.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

EM_Puma wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:54 pm In reality, I've never understood the logic behind the NCAA not only putting 16 seed teams in play-in games. How can you have teams ranked 12-16 that are not in a play-in game and you're a higher seed and have to play-in to get to the theoretical 1st round.

If you're a higher seed then dadgumit, you should not have to play a game more than any seed lower. I'd like someone to explain that to me.
The NCAA is an organization that punishes schools like BSU for having a recruit sleep on a player’s couch more severely than a TN that is handing bags of cash out or Miami pimping prostitutes to recruits, both of whom essentially walked away scott free. The NCAA is neither fair or competent.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

BoiseBYU wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:54 pm
EM_Puma wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:54 pm In reality, I've never understood the logic behind the NCAA not only putting 16 seed teams in play-in games. How can you have teams ranked 12-16 that are not in a play-in game and you're a higher seed and have to play-in to get to the theoretical 1st round.

The NCAA is an organization that punishes schools like BSU for having a recruit sleep on a player’s couch more severely than a TN that is handing bags of cash out or Miami pimping prostitutes to recruits, both of whom essentially walked away scott free. The NCAA is neither fair or competent.
But the selection committee is separate from the NCAA admin. I can't imagine them telling the participants to sock-it-to BYU just because. This projections is from an ESPN individual. Somehow we need to shed this level of prejudice of our program. I'm sure it won't happen, but everybody seems into getting rid of any level of unfair and prejudiced approaches, let's be done with this tendency to throw BYU into play-in games.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

I agree 100%. Actually I'd prefer to just keep the tournament at an actual 64 teams without the stupid play-in games. And if BYU is #34 in NET shouldn't that mean that we are a 9 seed? Part of me wants the committee to straight up use the NET ranking to take the human element out of the tournament seeding because they seem to always screw BYU. Let the stats speak for themselves!

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

The idea of a play-in game for a 12 seed game makes sense if you think of the conference auto-bids. If some not very good team ends up winning their conference tournament they should get ranked as a 16 seed but they did win their conference so they should be in the tournament, otherwise you have the same situation as the football farcical playoffs where only teams from the SEC, ACC, and Big 10 are invited.

tmoney35
Senior

Post by tmoney35 »

byufan4ever wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:28 am

I agree 100%. Actually I'd prefer to just keep the tournament at an actual 64 teams without the stupid play-in games. And if BYU is #34 in NET shouldn't that mean that we are a 9 seed? Part of me wants the committee to straight up use the NET ranking to take the human element out of the tournament seeding because they seem to always screw BYU. Let the stats speak for themselves!
Honestly, I'd rather be an 11 seed instead of 8/9, get to avoid a 1 seed in the second round.

The "first four" games are chosen by the 4 bottom autobid teams, which are 16 seeds, and the 4 bottom at-large teams, which are 11 seeds. I really think this is dumb. Should just be the 8 worst teams in the tourney. I'm guessing they do it to get more people watching the play-in games

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

tmoney35 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:05 pm Should just be the 8 worst teams in the tourney. I'm guessing they do it to get more people watching the play-in games
Exactly!

KYCoug
Sophomore

Post by KYCoug »

I think more than anything if we had a consistent history of winning those games and going into the second week we would not keep getting stuck there.

Just keep winning!
Go Cougs
KYCOUG
Louisville, KY

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

KYCoug wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:28 pm I think more than anything if we had a consistent history of winning those games and going into the second week we would not keep getting stuck there.

Just keep winning!
Go Cougs
KYCOUG
Louisville, KY
I know I can look this up, but didn't we win our last play-in game? I thought that's the one we came from 30 something down.