BYU Names Darrell Funk as Offensive Line Coach

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
E-Zone15
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

BYU Names Darrell Funk as Offensive Line Coach

Post by E-Zone15 »

BYU Names Darrell Funk as Offensive Line Coach; https://byucougars.com/story/football/1 ... line-coach

https://www.si.com/college/byu/news/byu ... line-coach

Funk's resume:
• 2018-2019: UTSA — Offensive Line Coach
• 2017: Indiana State — Run Game Coordinator/Offensive Line Coach
• 2016: Purdue — Offensive Line Coach
• 2015: Akron — Run Game Coordinator/Offensive Line Coach
• 2011-14: Michigan — Offensive Line Coach
• 2009-10: San Diego State — Offensive Line Coach
• 2008: Ball State — Offensive Line Coach
• 2004-07: Colorado State — Offensive Line Coach
• 2003: Colorado State — Special teams Coordinator/Tight End Coach
• 2002: Northern Illinois — Tight End Coach
• 2000-01: Rhode Island — Defensive Coordinator
• 1998-99: Rhode Island — Offensive Line Coach
• 1995-97: Mesa State College — Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line Coach
• 1993-94: Mesa State College — Offensive Line Coach
• 1991-92: Muskingum College — Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Line Coach
• 1990: Muskingum College — Defensive Line Coach
• 1988-89: Illinois — Graduate Assistant Coach
• 1987: Colorado State — Student Assistant Coach

I'm not sure how I feel about him just yet, He has put players in the NFL (mainly at Michigan), but sure has quite a few 1 and done years at schools (mainly MAC schools), he did stick with Coach Hoke for awhile (Ball St, SDSU, and Michigan).
Last edited by E-Zone15 on Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

E-Zone15
BLUEshirt

Re: BYU Names Darrell Funk as Offensive Line Coach

Post by E-Zone15 »

So, on my little research that I have done in the last bit, I believe I will really like this hire. It sounds like Coach Funk has a fiery personality. I've heard Coach Grimes had the same type fiery personality and Rodger French was well known for his fiery personality. It also looks like he can recruit (at least brought in some big recruits at Michigan); https://247sports.com/Coach/Darrell-Fun ... eRecruits/

His son (Tyler) has followed his father in coaching and is Tight Ends Coach & Recruiting Coordinator at Indiana St University. Link; https://twitter.com/CoachTylerFunk?ref_ ... line-coach

Tyler has some pretty good stuff on his twitter, like: "The truth is: Life is tough, and life is unfair. Period.
Being negative and pessimistic is the EASY way out. It’s harder to be positive in a tough situation. Finding a “silver lining” is tough, but the tough ones do it anyway. Challenge yourself to be ABOVE the negative."

You have to think the "Apple Does Not Fall Far From the Tree". His son sounds a lot like Coach Eric Mateos.

E-Zone15
BLUEshirt

Post by E-Zone15 »

A couple more links...
BYU hires Darrell Funk as offensive line coach; https://www.deseret.com/sports/2021/2/5 ... line-coach

BYU adds UTSA's Darrell Funk as next offensive line coach; https://www.ksl.com/article/50102387/by ... line-coach

This one has a video of Coach Funk when he was hired at Michigan.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

This is the hire that is either going to make or break our offense. I seriously hope this guy is the right guy for BYU right now.

E-Zone15
BLUEshirt

Post by E-Zone15 »

Looking around last night to see how much Michigan fans like the job he did there, I didn't find much.... But I found was a few negative statements, about him being the worst OL coach and how does he still have a job. So I went back and read about how the OL men did while he was at Michigan. From BYU's write up on him:
"Funk spent four seasons as the offensive line coach at Michigan from 2011-14, where his line produced the Big Ten Rimington-Pace Offensive Lineman of the Year in three of his four seasons in Ann Arbor. Center David Molk won the award in 2011, while offensive tackle Taylor Lewan earned the honor in 2012 and 2013."
So, he may or may not have been given a coached up player in David Molk, he earn 1st Team All Big 10 in 2010 (nothing before that). But it was not until 2011 that he really took his game to the next level: 1st Team All Big 10, Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year, Consensus All-American, and Rimington Trophy winner (Best Center in the Nation).
Taylor Lewan earned all of his awards with Coach Funk: 3 times First-team All-Big Ten (2011–2013), 2 times Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year (2012, 2013), 2 times First-team All-American (2012, 2013), and a Semifinalist for the Lombardi Award (2013).
So, it's not like their player regressed after he became their coach. I think of Coach Weber and BYU's OL after Grimes left the first time.
Ohio St got a new coach in 2012 by the name of Urban Meyer and they went 12-0 in his first year there (they were ineligible for Bowl games). Ohio St became the big dog in the Big 10 from that point on: Michigan records- 2011 11-2, 2012 8-5, 2013 7-6, and 2014 5-7
At Colorado St in 5 years he coach 9 different players that made it to the NFL. One I o remember was Erik Pears who was a MWC Honorable mention the year before Coach Funk and was 1st-team All-MWC (2003, 2004) with him as his coach.

E-Zone15
BLUEshirt

Post by E-Zone15 »