What's the Chance?

BYU Cougars on the court.
E-Zone15
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

What's the Chance?

Post by E-Zone15 »

Kind of looking to next year, after last nights game with Gonzaga and started thinking of what's if Alex Barcello or Brandon Averette or both of them taking the bonus year? BYU's scholarships could likely be full next year, with addition of Nate Hansen (PG), Trey Stewart (CG), and Fousseyni Traore (PF/C). Matt Haarms said he is playing the one year, but have not heard from Barcello or Averette. BYU could be short at the PG next year, Jesse Wade appears to be a walk-on and his health has been a question mark. Will Jesse Wade play his Sr year as a walk-on for BYU? I would love to see it, because the little playing time he has got he has looked solid (rarely makes mistakes/ smart ball player). But has not got a lot of playing time, so who knows what is going on and it seems unlikely he will be on scholarship again next year.
So, who plays the PG next year? Connor Harding could do it, even though that has not been his true position, the same would go for Hunter Erickson. Because it would be pretty rough to expect a return missionary (Nate Hansen or Trey Stewart) to come home and jump right into running the PG. TJ did it, but he was a top 100 recruit. If Barcello or Averette or both took the bonus year, BYU would have 2 bonus/extra scholarship players (15 instead of 13) with a whole of experience, team leaders, and fill a huge need.

BYU would be a real handful for Gonzaga, because I don't see Jalen Suggs, Corey Kispert, and Drew Timme (slimmest chance of the 3 of returning). Does Joel Ayayi go? Seems like last year he tested the NBA Draft waters. So they will still be very, very good: Joel Ayayi 6' 5" 180, Andrew Nembhard 6' 5" 193, Anton Watson 6' 8" 225, Julian Strawther 6' 7" 205, Dominick Harris 6' 3" 190, Oumar Ballo 7' 260, and whatever new recruit (top 100/Grad transfer) they bring in or have been developing/red-shirting.

@Gonzaga Jalen Suggs, Corey Kispert, and Drew Timme combine for 51 points (rest of the team 35), add in Joel Ayayi the total is 59 (rest of the team 27)

@BYU Jalen Suggs, Corey Kispert, and Drew Timme combine for 57 points (rest of the team 25), add in Joel Ayayi the total is 61 (rest of the team 21)

Andrew Nembhard has been really good off the bench and Joel Ayayi is really good on D, so that is a very solid core if both return next year.

For BYU I believe that Jeremy Dowdell 6' 4" 175 (6' 7" wingspan) returns from his mission and doesn't he hold the Utah State records for most 3's made in a season (117) and career (307). It seems like he said he didn't need a scholarship (family is well off) and wanted to walk-on at BYU (his dream school / had at least 5 D1 offers).

E-Zone15
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: What's the Chance?

Post by E-Zone15 »

E-Zone15 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:47 pm Kind of looking to next year, after last nights game with Gonzaga and started thinking of what's if Alex Barcello or Brandon Averette or both of them taking the bonus year? BYU's scholarships could likely be full next year, with addition of Nate Hansen (PG), Trey Stewart (CG), and Fousseyni Traore (PF/C). Matt Haarms said he is playing the one year, but have not heard from Barcello or Averette. BYU could be short at the PG next year, Jesse Wade appears to be a walk-on and his health has been a question mark. Will Jesse Wade play his Sr year as a walk-on for BYU? I would love to see it, because the little playing time he has got he has looked solid (rarely makes mistakes/ smart ball player). But has not got a lot of playing time, so who knows what is going on and it seems unlikely he will be on scholarship again next year.
So, who plays the PG next year? Connor Harding could do it, even though that has not been his true position, the same would go for Hunter Erickson. Because it would be pretty rough to expect a return missionary (Nate Hansen or Trey Stewart) to come home and jump right into running the PG. TJ did it, but he was a top 100 recruit. If Barcello or Averette or both took the bonus year, BYU would have 2 bonus/extra scholarship players (15 instead of 13) with a whole of experience, team leaders, and fill a huge need.

BYU would be a real handful for Gonzaga, because I don't see Jalen Suggs, Corey Kispert, and Drew Timme (slimmest chance of the 3 of returning). Does Joel Ayayi go? Seems like last year he tested the NBA Draft waters. So they will still be very, very good: Joel Ayayi 6' 5" 180, Andrew Nembhard 6' 5" 193, Anton Watson 6' 8" 225, Julian Strawther 6' 7" 205, Dominick Harris 6' 3" 190, Oumar Ballo 7' 260, and whatever new recruit (top 100/Grad transfer) they bring in or have been developing/red-shirting.

@Gonzaga Jalen Suggs, Corey Kispert, and Drew Timme combine for 51 points (rest of the team 35), add in Joel Ayayi the total is 59 (rest of the team 27)

@BYU Jalen Suggs, Corey Kispert, and Drew Timme combine for 57 points (rest of the team 25), add in Joel Ayayi the total is 61 (rest of the team 21)

Andrew Nembhard has been really good off the bench and Joel Ayayi is really good on D, so that is a very solid core if both return next year.

For BYU I believe that Jeremy Dowdell 6' 4" 175 (6' 7" wingspan) returns from his mission and doesn't he hold the Utah State records for most 3's made in a season (117) and career (307). It seems like he said he didn't need a scholarship (family is well off) and wanted to walk-on at BYU (his dream school / had at least 5 D1 offers).
It sounds like BYU may have one open scholarship, because Coach Pope could have pulled Nate Hansen scholarship when he became the Head Coach. Here is what the scholarships should be (depending on bonus year):
1 Sr Richard Harward
2 Sr Kolby Lee
3 Sr Connor Harding
4 Sr Gideon George
5 Sr/Jr Gavin Baxter (medical year?)
6 Jr Trevin Knell
7 Jr Spencer Johnson
8 Jr/So Wyatt Lowell (medical year?)
9 So Caleb Lohner
10 So Hunter Erickson
11 Fr Fousseyni Traore (7' 1" wingspan)
12 Fr Trey Stewart
13 Fr Nate Hansen or Open (could go after Isaac Johnson with it)
14 Bonus Alex Barcello
15 Bonus Brandon Averette

Walk-ons:
Sr Jesse Wade?
Sr Brandon Warr
Jr Cameron Pearson
Fr Jeremy Dowdell

If it is true that BYU does have a open scholarship, then that opens some options. BYU could go after Isaac Johnson 6' 11"/ 7' (Spencer's little brother) with it, who signed with Oregon before his mission and was a 4 star recruit. Or go after a experienced (grad transfer or would it go to Wade?) PG, depending on Barcello and Averette decision.

GAKunkel
Recruit

Re: What's the Chance?

Post by GAKunkel »

I suppose there is a chance Barcello and Averette stay another year. If there is a coach that could convince them it would be Pope.

I can see Barcello playing in Europe. I am not sure about Averette. I give the likelihood of them staying another year about a 30% chance.

Haarms is a better player than he was last season and at the beginning of the season. I know he has his eyes set on the NBA and came to BYU because of Pope's career in the NBA, but I am not seeing him get drafted. He won't want to hear it but another year might do him well. He could definitely play in Europe. He a big presence in the key and great shot blocker. I give the likelihood of Haarms staying about a 10% chance.

Between Harward, Lee, Baxter, and Lohner we'll have a solid front court. George, Johnson, Lowell, and Knell on the wings will be solid. George could be phenomenal. The hole next season will be at PG and that's a big hole.

For Gonzaga, no way do Suggs, Kispert, and Timme stay. They are gone. All three of them have the chance of playing in the NBA next year. No incentive to stay even if they don't win the national championship. That said, I don't see Gonzaga being "down" next season. Few always reloads.