Post by scott715 »

E-Zone15
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Player Pipeline

Post by E-Zone15 »

scott715 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:22 pm
I don't think Nate Hansen has a scholarship from BYU. I have heard when Coach Pope took over as head coach he pulled the offer from Nate and more or less gave it to Trey Stewart. So, I'm not sure if Nate is even coming to BYU at this point (take a scholarship from someone else?). Pretty sure Jesse Wade is not currently on scholarship right now, so it does look like BYU has all 13 scholarships accounted for with the addition of Atiki Ally Atiki. I would be very excited if Alex comes back for a bonus year, BYU would be very solid again next year (aka, tournament team).

GAKunkel
Recruit

Post by GAKunkel »

Unless Barcello comes back we're going to struggle at PG again. Barcello and Avarette handle duties. There isn't that third guy getting a few minutes here and there.

I don't see Harding running point his ball handling and passing just isn't there. Same with Johnson and Knell. So either Pope knows something we don't or someone will be cutting their teeth at the position next season.

E-Zone15
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Post by E-Zone15 »

GAKunkel wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:51 pm Unless Barcello comes back we're going to struggle at PG again. Barcello and Avarette handle duties. There isn't that third guy getting a few minutes here and there.

I don't see Harding running point his ball handling and passing just isn't there. Same with Johnson and Knell. So either Pope knows something we don't or someone will be cutting their teeth at the position next season.
I've heard Coach Pope say that Harding could play the point, his words not mine. He is 3rd on the team in assists and his turnover ratio is pretty good.
Alex Barcello: 110 assists, 50 turnovers, 2.20 ratio
Brandon Averette: 88 assists, 60 turnovers, 1.47 ratio
Connor Harding: 39 assists, 21 turnovers, 1.86 ratio; Career 119 assists, 70 turnovers, 1.70 ratio

Connor had that nice pass to Yoeli Childs for the statement dunk at the end of the Gonzaga game. I think he had similar one to Haarms for a dunk this year on a drive. Would it be ideal, who knows. I remember early on (before his mission) some BYU fans questioned Kyle Collinsworth's ball handling abilities and he turned out just fine. I think Conner would do a pretty serviceable job (100 plus assists), which would work because BYU's big men will make a lot of assists (This year's assists: Lohner 29, Haarms 25, Harward 25, and Lee 23/ FWIW Knell 24 and Johnson 22).
Kyle Collinsworth: Career 703 assists, 367 turnovers, 1.92 ratio