BYU Cougars on the court.
tmoney35
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Gonzaga

Post by tmoney35 »

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/

Gonzaga has 3 projected first-round picks, including 2 in the top 10, and another 2nd round pick. Pretty impressive line-up.

Tennessee and Texas were the only other schools with multiple 1st round projections, both with 2 in the 1st round and one in the 2nd. Makes their 1st round upsets look even worse.

snoscythe
Retired

Re: Gonzaga

Post by snoscythe »

That Texas-Abeline Christian game was nuts.

Texas wins that game 99 times out of 100. ACU played absolutely out of their minds and barely pulled it off.

Super fun to watch.

GAKunkel
Recruit

Post by GAKunkel »

Wish our guys showed up with the intensity these Cinderella teams have shown. I think a 6 seed went to our head.

coachK
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by coachK »

Maybe the 6 seed went to our head, but at the same time, the "11" seed we played went to the elite 8. Maybe even further, TBD.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

UCLA was way under rated. I'm convinced they were put in the play in game to knock BYU out of the tourney. Now they are playing Gonzaga in the final 4.

GAKunkel
Recruit

Post by GAKunkel »

UCLA was grossly under seeded.

I think the committee basically dared us to win.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I'm not going to blame the committee for UCLA's seeding.

They got drubbed by SDSU, needed OT to put away Pepperdine for it's best non-conference win of the season and then got drubbed by USC in early February, followed that with a loss to mighty Wazzou, and finally limped into the tournament as one of the "last four in" on a four-loss skid -- losses to CU, Oregon, USC, and Oregon State as the #4 regular season team out of the PAC12.

Those losses all happened with Juzang injured and out, but it wasn't known if Juzang could play in round one of the NCAA Tournament or not. At the time of seeding, I don't know that there was much of an argument against them being an 11 seed based on their resume and the uncertain status of Juzang.

So yeah, looking back we can say they were under-seeded, but based on what the committee had to go on, I can't fault them for seeding them as an 11-seed.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

snoscythe wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:12 pm I'm not going to blame the committee for UCLA's seeding.

They got drubbed by SDSU, needed OT to put away Pepperdine for it's best non-conference win of the season and then got drubbed by USC in early February, followed that with a loss to mighty Wazzou, and finally limped into the tournament as one of the "last four in" on a four-loss skid -- losses to CU, Oregon, USC, and Oregon State as the #4 regular season team out of the PAC12.

Those losses all happened with Juzang injured and out, but it wasn't known if Juzang could play in round one of the NCAA Tournament or not. At the time of seeding, I don't know that there was much of an argument against them being an 11 seed based on their resume and the uncertain status of Juzang.

So yeah, looking back we can say they were under-seeded, but based on what the committee had to go on, I can't fault them for seeding them as an 11-seed.
You are probably right but BYU was going to play either a Michigan State team or a UCLA team from the play in game and both of those teams are really tough match ups for a team like BYU. The Selection committee is notorious for putting BYU up against teams in the first round designed to get them out so the tourney doesn't have to worry about Sunday play.