Arizona Game Thoughts

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Arizona Game Thoughts

Post by BoiseBYU »

Here are my thoughts following the game. I would be interested in yours.

1. BYU fans came out in force and it was a very impressive show of support.
2. After getting settled in, Jaron Hall played very well. I can only remember one bad pass, and that may have been because the route was run wrong? I thought it was a very fine start for him.
3. The offensive line opened up enough runs and gave Hall enough protection. The safety obviously hurt, but that was the outlier.
4. Pili and Willard had very strong first games, but if you look at the D line, there were not too many tackles. They, and the linebackers, did come up with four monumental sacks.
5. I wonder if our zone defense was a little too soft? AZ did pass for over 300 yards.
6. No turnovers and two penalties is a sign of a well p-coached team.
7. I am so grateful that it sounds like Keenan Ellis’s injury may not be as serious as we first feared.
8. It did not seem like Roderick opened up the playbook – – there were no bubble screens, Isaac Rex was used minimally, and I wonder how much of that is in anticipation of Utah?
9. Good to have the first game under the belt. I am sure Lavell Edwards stadium will be rocking next Saturday! Go Cougars!

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Arizona Game Thoughts

Post by scott715 »

Hopefully there is a lot of improvement from game 1 to 2. I thought the OL was not opening running holes like last year. Heard the Rex was being double teamed.

Ellis was released from the hospital yesterday. I hope he can play Saturday.

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

It's just so great to win that first game. Arizona was a good opponent to begin with and give us some confidence, but it will be interesting to see how they fair. If in fact BYU held back some just for the sake of their game plan vs Utah, then great. If that wasn't why we really didn't use much of the TE's and other mentioned plays, then I my confidence in the team could be misguided.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

the zone defense would have been amazing if the first byu defender to the ball on 90% of dump routes actually tackled the receiver.

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

I'll take the win.