Hall or Romney?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Hall or Romney?

Post by EM_Puma »

Honestly, I'm comfortable with either and I'm okay with A-Rod deciding if there is a choice.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

snoscythe wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:31 pm I'm happy and confident with either. But the offense looks much more explosive with Romney's deep-ball precision. Hall just doesn't have that third-level accuracy to really stretch a defense vertically the way Romney does.
Probably helps that Romney has played 2 of the weaker opponents but the offense has looked excellent with BR. I was really disappointed as soon as I saw him reach for his head to end that 1st half. he was having a great 1.5 games.

Hope either one of them is back vs BSU.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

BroncoBot wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:26 pm
snoscythe wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:31 pm I'm happy and confident with either. But the offense looks much more explosive with Romney's deep-ball precision. Hall just doesn't have that third-level accuracy to really stretch a defense vertically the way Romney does.
Probably helps that Romney has played 2 of the weaker opponents
You're forgetting that Hall got to play Arizona -- possibly one of the worst teams in the nation. 'Zona lost at home to Northern Arizona, who also managed to put up more points on the road than BYU's Hall-led offense did in front of a friendly crowd in Vegas.

Northern Arizona is not good either, even for an FCS team. They're 2-3 and they've managed to beat only Arizona and mighty Idaho State thus far this season. On the other hand, they've lost to the University of Northern Colorado and blowout losses to mighty teams like Sam Houston, and South Dakota (not even South Dakota State--the lesser South Dakota University). Don't just look at the Pac12 patches on their jerseys -- Arizona is bad bad bad.

I'm not saying Romney has faced a tough slate -- I'm just pointing out that Hall had his chance to go off on a crazy soft defense as well.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Ive chalked up az game to first game jitters (BYU has lost some 1st games they had no business losing over the years) and az being amped for the game with new coaching staff, etc. But, it would have been nice to see BYU drop at least 35 on them. I also think BYU went purposefully vanilla vs az, wisely, with utah being game 2 where the defense and offense looked a lot different.

On paper (regardless of opponent strength) baylor appears to be the better qb.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

snoscythe wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:13 pm
BroncoBot wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:26 pm
Probably helps that Romney has played 2 of the weaker opponents
You're forgetting that Hall got to play Arizona -- possibly one of the worst teams in the nation. 'Zona lost at home to Northern Arizona, who also managed to put up more points on the road than BYU's Hall-led offense did in front of a friendly crowd in Vegas.

Northern Arizona is not good either, even for an FCS team. They're 2-3 and they've managed to beat only Arizona and mighty Idaho State thus far this season. On the other hand, they've lost to the University of Northern Colorado and blowout losses to mighty teams like Sam Houston, and South Dakota (not even South Dakota State--the lesser South Dakota University). Don't just look at the Pac12 patches on their jerseys -- Arizona is bad bad bad.

I'm not saying Romney has faced a tough slate -- I'm just pointing out that Hall had his chance to go off on a crazy soft defense as well.
The coaches said after the game that they went completely base offense and Defense against Arizona because they had NO film and Arizona didn't do anything in that game that their coaches had done in the past. I think if Hall had remained healthy and played South Florida and USU, we would have seen deep balls completed. I saw him hit multiple deep balls right on the money in both the Ute and ASU games that receivers dropped. I have no doubt that he can hit the deep ball accurately. Oh, and By the way, after the BSU game in 2019 I was the one saying on this website that Baylor Romney was the best QB on the roster so it isn't like I don't believe in his abilities. I just think that Hall is the better guy right now because of his running ability and feel he is a threat on the deep ball as well.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

frdbtr wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:35 pm
The coaches said after the game that they went completely base offense and Defense against Arizona because they had NO film and Arizona didn't do anything in that game that their coaches had done in the past. I think if Hall had remained healthy and played South Florida and USU, we would have seen deep balls completed. I saw him hit multiple deep balls right on the money in both the Ute and ASU games that receivers dropped. I have no doubt that he can hit the deep ball accurately. Oh, and By the way, after the BSU game in 2019 I was the one saying on this website that Baylor Romney was the best QB on the roster so it isn't like I don't believe in his abilities. I just think that Hall is the better guy right now because of his running ability and feel he is a threat on the deep ball as well.
Hall's legs would definitely be a plus against BSU who has struggled against the run.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I don't think I want him running unless he throws it on the run.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Well, we got to see a lot of receivers having to stop and wait on deep balls or come back to underthrown balls tonight.

I think one deep ball was thrown to where a receiver could catch in stride.

We also saw the coaches trying to keep Hall safe in a pocket. If that's the new game plan -- keep Hall away from runs and taking hits, I think it's a no-brainer to go with a healthy Romney. I don't think Romney was able to go this afternoon, so it's not like the coaches had a choice, but if they have that choice at Baylor, I don't think Hall's offense will put up nearly enough points to top Baylor.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

snoscythe wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:50 pm Well, we got to see a lot of receivers having to stop and wait on deep balls or come back to underthrown balls tonight.

I think one deep ball was thrown to where a receiver could catch in stride.

We also saw the coaches trying to keep Hall safe in a pocket. If that's the new game plan -- keep Hall away from runs and taking hits, I think it's a no-brainer to go with a healthy Romney. I don't think Romney was able to go this afternoon, so it's not like the coaches had a choice, but if they have that choice at Baylor, I don't think Hall's offense will put up nearly enough points to top Baylor.
I agree with you. They obviously tried to protect Hall today with no RPO plays or anything. He looked out of his element. They either need to call plays to his strength or start Baylor how is a better drop back passer. Having said that, today's loss was not Halls problem, Our 2 veteran starting RB's betrayed us today, along with the offensive line. Don't even get me started on the defense.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

frdbtr wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:00 pmDon't even get me started on the defense.
Defense wasn't the primary culprit today, but boy were they frustrating to watch.

There was a 3rd and 2 on Boise's last FG drive where BSU lined up with 3 receivers tripped to the right.

BYU shifted three over to cover, but they were all 5+ yards off the LOS, and two defenders were stacked on the inside receiver, with no one on top of the middle receiver. I remind you, this is on THIRD DOWN WITH TWO YARDS TO GAIN.

Bachmeier saw the line up, audibled to a quick pitch for an easy 6 yard gain. Receiver was well across the first down line before contact.

The defense gave up a critical first down there by scheme. No idea what they were doing. Mind bottling.