BYU-Sitake negotiating contract again - DEAL DONE

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

BYU-Sitake negotiating contract again - DEAL DONE

Post by Fido »

On BYU Sports Nation today, Tom Holmoe was on and was asked about Sitake and all the coaching positions out there and Sitake's future:

“We are in conversations with Kalani at this point in time, and he’s our coach. We want him for a long time, and good things are going to happen in the near future.”
Last edited by Fido on Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fido
All Star

Re: BYU-Sitake negotiating contract again

Post by Fido »

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

Does Pac12 have a requirement that a minority is interviewed?

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

At least Oregon has a state law requiring it.

https://theundefeated.com/features/oreg ... elsewhere/

Oregon House Bill 3118 was passed in June 2009 which requires state schools to interview at least one qualified minority candidate for all head coach and athletic director openings.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

Monty's take on Sitake and BYU negotiations and the Oregon coaching position.
Summary is:
Sitake and BYU have been reworking his contract for about a month or so. The objectives for the rework are to 1) increase stability and pay for the assistant coaches, and 2) take Sitaki off the "hamster wheel" every time a new head coaching position opens up. Both sides are pretty much in agreement but Sitaki wants to wait until the bowl game is over so they stay focused on the Independence Bowl.

This agreement is why Sitake never got very far with USC or Washington's openings and won't be a serious contender for the Oregon job. Oregon has requested permission to interview but the negotiation and agreement with the rework minimizes interest in those other jobs.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

For what it's worth, Monty's version matches up with what Holmoe said recently regarding being "in conversations with Kalani".

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

I honestly can't see Sitake going to Oregon. BYU is his dream job. We're going to be in a major conference. If money was tight at BYU I would play a game of chicken with Sitake. I don't think he's leaving. That being said, I'm a free market guy and I believe that everyone should be paid their "worth."

Can we tell Sitkae that we'll give him a 20% increase if he just hires a new DC?

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Fido
All Star

Re: BYU-Sitake negotiating contract again - DEAL DONE

Post by Fido »

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

I like that he interviewed. Sometimes we need to be at least willing to walk and to have an interview, because it then the institution gets an opportunity for a counteroffer. I think this worked out how it was supposed to. I also think Kalani never seriously wanted to leave BYU. The new offer helps give credibility to BYU that we are serious about national relevance. I honestly think he is a legacy coach, meaning he will stay with BYU for 20+ years. I feel like this year we overachieved and we are on a higher level. I imagine any of the teams of BYU past would have a hard time against the BYU team that beat Utah in September. I dare say that 1984, 1990, 1996, 2001, and 2006 would lose head to head. Kalani has leveled up the program in a way Bronco couldn't, although some credit goes to Bronco for setting the stage for P5 scheduling.

I hope Kalani stays a long time. This year and 2020 have meant a lot to my fandom and also overall quality of life, yes it runs that deep.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

I hope that Kalani stays as long as he continues to produce results. Recruiting rankings have to be taken with a grain of salt, but those have to improve if we're going to consistently be competitive in the Big 12.

Also, with Diljeet Taylor becoming the women's cross country coach is it now official that the head coach of any sport at BYU doesn't have to be LDS? I'd think that we still want to find a good fit culture wise, but that potentially opens the door to a wider pool of head coaches for football, basketball, and all the sports.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins