UAB

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Sammich
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

UAB

Post by Sammich »

From the looks of things, this game is going to come down to who has the best defense, and right now that looks like UAB.

Though I hope I'm wrong.

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: UAB

Post by nuk13 »

You were right Sammich.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

It stinks but now we can focus on next season.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

BYU was not mentally ready to play at the start of the game. And the 14-0 1st quarter deficit proved too much. Sure they Cougs fought back and actually took a lead in the game, but they should never have been in that position in the first place.

Whether that was because of the contract negotiations and interviews Kalani went through during bowl prep, or the Jaren injury, or feeling UAB and/or the Independence bowl was beneath the team, or something else. We weren't ready to play.

We were a better team, but we didn't prove it.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

SpiffCoug wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:15 pm
I'm not sure about that. BYU's defense played almost exactly how it has played in the second half of the season. I hope that with new and better recruits it can improve. But a small, pessimistic part of my brain says that we saw the exact same defense on Saturday that we'll see through 2027.

Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

ABYUFAN wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:00 am
SpiffCoug wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:15 pm
I'm not sure about that. BYU's defense played almost exactly how it has played in the second half of the season. I hope that with new and better recruits it can improve. But a small, pessimistic part of my brain says that we saw the exact same defense on Saturday that we'll see through 2027.
I'd love to say that it was because we were missing so many starters on defense, but the offense lost nearly as many starters through the season and they played just fine. Something is wrong with the training, scheme adjustments, or some other component of the defense that isn't accommodating for new players like it ought to (and will need to do even when we DO have better recruits). I haven't been on the "fire Tuiaki" bandwagon, partially because I don't believe it will ever realistically happen. But until some kind of shakeup happens on defense, I am afraid that we will remain a good, but not great team, even with the recruiting advantages given by the big 12.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

I didn't get to watch the game, but it kinda wasn't surprising. The bowl game itself doesn't really mean anything. We aren't the first team who thought that we should have been in a better bowl and then didn't show any enthusiasm for being in a lesser bowl. 9 times out of 10 in the regular season we beat UAB by at least 10 points.

Sitake's extension should have come with the caveat that he has to find a new DC...

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins