Super Coonferences

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Super Coonferences

Post by scott715 »

https://www.ksl.com/article/50432835

This author proposed the remaining three conferences take pieces of each to form a 3rd conference. Not crazy about the idea. But what if the other left out teams formed a 4th conference and then you used relegation each year. Maybe that idea would work and would be interesting.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Super Coonferences

Post by byufan4ever »

Having lived in Europe and experienced promotion/relegation first hand I would love it. But it will NEVER happen in America. Playoffs baby!

I'm not particularly fond of throwing geography out the window in any of these super conferences including the new third one mentioned in the article that BYU would be part of. I guess I'm old school in that I prefer to think of college sports as an amateur league and I love me some regional rivalries.

Once upon a time I proposed new conferences/leagues/divisions with the dividing line being the Mississippi River. In the East Conference take the top 12 teams east of the Mississippi and put them in a division. Next top 12 are in the B division, next 12 in the East C division and so forth. Do the same for the West Conference. The winner of the West A and East A division meet for the National Championship. Bottom one or two teams in each division get relegated each season (or maybe every 3-5 seasons to provide some stability) and the top one or two teams from the lower divisions get promoted. For your bowl game your play your corresponding team from the other conference (#5 West team would play #5 East team). Obviously there would need to be a way to "fairly" rank the teams initially to get them into their divisions. But I'd be so down with this.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins