Baylor vs Oregon

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Baylor vs Oregon

Post by nuk13 »

If Baylor and Oregon played, Baylor would have a very high probability of winning. Yet we beat Baylor in a close game and lost to Oregon with a lopsided score. Something happened to BYU in that week! I don't think it can be explained just by home field advantage.

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

Re: Baylor vs Oregon

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

I have thought about why this is, and I have two key factors that mattered more than anticipated.

1. Oregon had an extra week to prepare. Their offense out-schemed us and our defense was not ready for it. And we adjusted too late.

2. Baylor hangover. I think it took everything Kalani had to deliver a top 10 win over Baylor. The team was spent, and the weaknesses in depth showed. We gave everything we had to beat Baylor.

I think BYU is doing just fine. We are a team capable of beating the best of the Big12, but we are not able YET to play at that level week in and week out. An early loss to a good Oregon team is ok. I still think BYU can go 2-2 against the big 4 on the schedule and call the season a success, but we have got to show up against Wyoming and UT State and really just clobber those two especially leading into ND and Arkansas.

This team is capable of running the table, and I would feel just fine about watching the next two weeks go as planned with pedestrian wins against the damn cowboys then an injury free showing with UT state, and then we make a statement win against ND. That would be just fine.

nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

TVRC, you've offered a good explanation. You have to show up every week. Take the week off after the season is over.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

Until we get better recruits (I think this is happening) and better coordinators, we are going to be a middle of the road Big 12 team. At some point we'll need to win back-to-back conference games against ranked opponents. We need to ditch the G5 mentality and the excuses that go along with them pretty quickly.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins